Cardiff Award, Preparing for your future

Why I applied for the Cardiff Award and recommend other students do too

Rosie, Cardiff Award Marketing Intern and current Cardiff Award student, tells us more about the programme and shares why she applied for the Award…

Cardiff Award22

The Cardiff Award is a structured programme providing recognition for you extracurricular achievements and helping you develop your employability. In a hugely competitive graduate market, the Cardiff Award can really make a difference for future applications, wherever your aspirations lie.

Why you should think about applying?

By signing up to the Cardiff Award you will:

• Be more aware of your current employability skills & strengths
  • Become a master of CV’s, cover letters & application forms
  • Gain a better understanding of how employers recruit
  • Network with top graduate employers
  • Be supported by the Cardiff Award team throughout the process
  • Have the Cardiff Award on your enhanced student transcript when you graduate.

My experience of the Award and why I applied:

I applied to the Cardiff Award during my placement year. I hadn’t actually thought too much about my employability before this, but after going through the stress of applying to placements, (and feeling slightly ill-equipped), I really started to focus on how I could make myself more employable after I graduated.

The Cardiff Award seemed like a good thing to do to make myself a better candidate and be more prepared for future job applications. I also realised a lot of the things I was doing already actually counted for the hours (part time work & volunteering) – so it seemed to make a lot of sense to apply.

Over the past year I have attended workshops, networking events and talks hosted by the careers service by key industry leaders. I think the biggest thing I have gained is an awareness of my professional strengths and how these match onto what employers are looking for. I am 100% happy with my decision to apply for the Cardiff Award; it has really given me that extra step forward into the graduate recruitment market that I really needed. If I had one regret it would have been not applying in first or second year when I had less pressure on and a bit more time.

careers-masterclass

Want to apply for this year’s Award programme?

The application deadlines is Wednesday 15 February so don’t hesitate.  Send your CV and a covering letter detailing why you want to be accepted onto the Cardiff Award, and what you hope to gain from the programme to cardiffAward@cardiff.ac.uk. Your CV doesn’t need to be perfectly polished – this is part of what you will learn during the Award!

For more information about the Cardiff Award and to hear from other Cardiff Award alumni, visit our blog page.

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful? Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too. To help us aid more of your fellow students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons or via Twitter and Facebook.

Best wishes,
Rosie, Student Intern.

thumbnail_Rosie Profile Picture.jpg

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.