Cardiff Award, Health and Wellbeing, Managing your money, Preparing for your future, Supporting your study, Work Experience

We are enriching student lives – updated – we had a 5th nomination!

A big thank you to those students who have nominated staff in Student Support & Wellbeing – here’s who you’ve nominated and how you made them feel …

images

What are the Enriching Student Life Awards (ESLAs)

ESLAs are an annual awards ceremony run in partnership between Cardiff Students’ Union and Cardiff University. Students and staff can nominate anyone at the University they feel has contributed to enriching the student experience. Award categories range from Best Teacher to most Uplifting Member of Staff to Student Academic Rep of Year. The top prize – the ESLA is given to a member of staff or student who has gone above and beyond their role. Nominations opened on 9th February and closed on 13th March. Out of the nominations the Students’ Union narrow down a shortlist and send this shortlist to senior members of University staff to pick the winners. The ceremony takes place on 7th May, starting at 6.30pm with a drinks reception, in the Great Hall, Students’ Union, Park Place.

Rhys, Students’ Union Vice President Education on the ELSAs

“I really love the ESLAs for the opportunity it provides students to shout about the excellent work staff do to enhance and promote the student experience at Cardiff University. I am really looking forward to this wonderful celebration which brings together such a wide range of staff and students, demonstrating the diversity of our University community.”

We are really proud to have 5 nominations and 2 shortlists for the top prize!

Diane Dobbs, Study Skills Tutor, Disability & Dyslexia – Nominated

Diane Dobbs

“What a wonderful and brilliant surprise to receive this nomination – I’m thrilled to bits and very grateful! It’s a pleasure to work with Cardiff University students and I’m lucky to be part of a team that’s a fantastic support, enabling me to do the job I love. Many thanks again to the kind student who nominated me – diolch yn fawr.”

Einir Evans, Student Support Adviser, Advice & Money – Nominated & Shortlisted

Einir ESLA15

“ I am touched to be nominated for an Enriching Student Life Award. I feel honoured to be working with amazing and talented students. In the 5 years I have worked in Student Support I hope that I have helped and made a difference to the student experience of a few students. Whatever obstacles you might face at Cardiff University, remember there is always someone to turn to, especially in Student Support. Thank you for the nomination and the cup of tea!”

Gaye Howells, Careers Adviser, Careers & Employability – Nominated

Gaye

“Well, I felt a bit overwhelmed when I heard. I just couldn’t get over a student actually took the time and trouble to nominate me. I don’t know who nominated me, but I’d really like to say thank you directly to them.”

Helen Hare, Work Experience Manager, Careers & Employability – Nominated

helen

“Being nominated for an ESLA is such a lovely thing to happen!  You work hard and really do care about the outcome of the students employability, so it’s a genuinely felt “thank you” when you get nominated for such an award. I have worked for 11 years here at Cardiff University and thoroughly enjoy working with the student and graduate population. The journey of that first year right through to their graduation and more recently hearing from them as alumni – who are now employers able to offer something back in the form of work experience, is a full natural cycle of events which you cannot create without providing excellent service to the students.”

Helen Lloyd, Cardiff Award Administrator, Careers & Employability – Nominated & Shortlisted

“I have never been nominated for an Award before so this came as a lovely and most welcome surprise. I am so pleased that my work has impacted positively on our students and their employability. Being nominated was wonderful but actually making the shortlist was unbelievable! Thank you to the person that nominated me, it means a lot. I am really looking forward to the ESLA Awards evening!”

Kath ELSA

Kath and Helen (who doesn’t like photos!)

Kath Foot, Cardiff Award Manager, Careers & Employability – Nominated

“I was absolutely thrilled to be nominated again this year. The ESLAs are so important as the nominations come from the students. It is amazing that someone takes time out to recognise staff in this way. It makes the job so worthwhile. I have no idea who nominated me this year but I want to thank them! You made my day!”   If you nominated one of these lovely ladies and would like to share your reasons why, please leave your comments below and/or connect with us on twitter and facebook.

Lets hope we have a winner here – watch this space!

Congratulations to all those, across the University, who have been shortlisted and good luck.

Staff from Student Support & Wellbeing are here to support you … please drop-in at The Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place (Student High Street) and Cardigan House (Heath Park campus), or find us on the Intranet, to access our full range of support and information.

Follow us on social media for daily updates on events and any other news and information we think will be of interest to you, follow us twitter: studentlifecu and cardiffcareers; like us on facebook: studentlifecu and cardiffunicareers

We really value student feedback If you have anything to share we welcome blog posts (email: taylork8@cardiff.ac.uk), twitter and facebook comments and reviews.

Best wishes Student Support & Wellbeing Team

SymbolFull_Col_SSW

Your Student Life, Supported

Advice & Money I Careers & Employability I Counselling, Health & Wellbeing I Disability & Dyslexia