The Cardiff Award is recruiting this month, and here Wendy from the Award team tells us more about the Award and the benefits for students who take part …
Applications are now being accepted for students to take part in Cardiff University’s employability award programme.
Why join the Award?
The Cardiff Award provides a structured opportunity for 1st, 2nd and penultimate year students to improve their employability and gain official recognition for their extra-curricular activities and development.
The programme offers opportunities to practice key recruitment techniques and network with graduate employers, giving you a greater chance for success in the competitive graduate market.
The Award has been created with our industry partners and works with a diverse range of recruiters, including our primary sponsor EY.
How the Award helps your Employability
The Award is a self-managed personal and professional development process that will complement your university experience.
Successful completion of the Award will give you:
- A good understanding of the graduate recruitment process
- Something different to put on your CV
- An understanding of the skills sought by employers
- Practical examples to provide to future employers
- Knowledge of how to build professional networks
- Improved self-confidence and self-awareness
Ultimately it will improve your employability!
As well as increasing you employability skills and self-confidence, Cardiff Award students have exclusive access to:
- Networking events with graduate employers
- Exclusive work and internship
- Showcase the Award on your University enhanced transcripts
- Use of the Cardiff Award logo which can be displayed on your LinkedIn profile
- Recommendations/endorsements of relevant skills and experiences on LinkedIn
- The opportunity to get involved as alumni of the Award through mentoring, speaking/networking at events
How the Award works
The programme will begin in February 2016 and students will be expected to complete by March 2017.
Students who are accepted onto the programme will complete the following activities:
- Attend an induction session.
- Complete 70 hours of extra-curricular experience.
- Attend and participate in five employability workshops.
- Complete one further recruitment experience, chosen from a range of activities including attending a mock assessment centre, recording a video interview or delivering a presentation.
- Submit a targeted CV and covering letter, application form and reflective log.
How to Apply
If The Cardiff Award sounds like a programme you would like to be a part of, you can apply by sending us a copy of your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com detailing why you want to be accepted onto the award and what you hope to gain from completing the programme.
The closing date for applications is 1 March 2016 at the latest.
We encourage applications as soon as possible as induction will run in February and March 2016 only.
Once accepted onto the award, students will be sent details of the induction workshops.
You can find more information about The Cardiff Award by searching for us on the student Intranet. You can also visit our blog pages for posts from students, alumni and our sponsors.
Wendy, Cardiff Award Team
Careers & Employability
Your Student Life, Supported.
The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.
For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.