Enterprise

The rise of the ‘Portfolio Career’

Sean, Cardiff University Enterprise Manager, tells us how the world of work has changed and it isn’t turning back any time soon.

In the past many people would stay in the same job for the whole of their working life. Today, that luxury is gone and it’s unlikely that you’ll even stay on the same career path throughout your work.

This means that you’re more likely to have a mixture of employment, self-employment or freelancing. A working life now regarded as a ‘Portfolio Career’

But, how can you prepare yourself for this?

It’s all about making sure you have the skills to make the most of any position you find yourself in.

I’ve been helping students gain skills and start businesses for almost 7 years now, but began working in the creative arts. I had never anticipated that Cardiff University would be where my career path led.  However, here I am and I think the reason for this is that all of the skills I’ve learnt have enabled me to spot opportunities and adapt to change.

For me, working in an advertising agency taught me how to multi-task like a pro, solve problems on the spot and be able communicate with a variety of different people, from execs at fashion brands to film editors and colleagues. I learnt to be adaptable, dynamic and became more confident.   All of these have helped me in my career and are relevant to the job I am in now and whatever jobs I may have in the future.

All of these skills and qualities are what we think make you ‘Enterprising’

Being enterprising isn’t just about starting a business or even necessarily working within one. Enterprise skills give you the opportunity to develop your confidence, knowledge and skills to enable you to spot opportunities and make things happen.

Getting a head start whilst you’re studying can help you stand out from the crowd when you start your own portfolio career.

At Enterprise and Start-up we help you to develop skills and become more enterprising. Offering you the opportunity to develop your skills in our interactive workshops on topics such as problem solving, communication and customer service.  You can even get involved with our hands-on projects, like the Festival Project and Enactus society to put your new found skills into use.

Essentially we’re here to help you to make things happen and bring ideas to life.

Inspired? Get involved with Cardiff University Enterprise and Start-up!

Do you have entrepreneurial inspirations and aspirations? Cardiff University Enterprise and Start-up could help you realise your full potential in business and entrepreneurship. It’s all about thinking creatively, spotting opportunities, making things happen and developing skills for life. It’s not just about business; it’s about helping you to make the most of yourself.

We run workshops, competitions and sessions to help you develop skills and knowledge. Find out about all our courses and sessions on the intranet, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, with #ideastolife, or email us at entreprise@cardiff.ac.uk.

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and  if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best wishes,

Sean Hoare, Enterprise Manager

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.