Preparing for your future, What's On, Work Experience

The difference between part time work and internships

Emma Green, Student Intern for Careers & Employability, share her experience and the difference between part-time work and internships …

intern pic

It’s day two of the First Year Internship Bootcamp, so for first years and any other students considering an internship, Emma offers some great reasons to get involved!

The skills I’m learning on my internship

Since a young age I have always worked alongside my studies; I enjoy working and the financial independence this has allowed me. I have learnt many skills from my time working in retail and hospitality however, I decided that I wanted a new challenge and thus applied for an internship with the University’s Careers and Employability service.

In my experience, internships offer you the chance to work much closer with employers, you are given much more responsibility earlier on and you have more opportunity to work on tasks that most excite you. In only a few months I have learnt new skills and strengthened the ones that I already have, these include:

The ability to work independently: I have always been able to get on with work that has been specifically set for me; however my internship has given me the confidence and the initiative to. As I become more aware of my strengths, I am learning how to best utilise my skill set to the advantage of my team without having to constantly ask for guidance. In a busy working environment, employers value those that can work to their strengths without having to be constantly checked on.

Communication skills: as part of my internship I have worked with a range of people including lecturers, students and professionals from a range of companies across the UK. I am constantly adapting to new situations: speaking to people over the phone, in meetings and at careers fairs.Such experience will be extremely useful in an interview situation.

Time management: Whilst I am not the most organised student, I have always ensures that I have assignments done in time for deadlines. However, I have found that it is much harder to manage your time in a work situation where you are not only relying on yourself but also others. When waiting for emails or call backs in order to progress, the need to be organised and prepared far in advance of any deadlines is crucial. Time management plays an important role across a range of professions and is therefore a good skill to learn early on.

Events planning and management: This is something relatively new to me and an opportunity that I would not have been able to experience in my previous roles as a part-time employee.Whilst this is not something I had previously considered, I have really enjoyed this aspect of work and is something that I would definitely consider for a future career. I would likely not have had such a realisation so early on had it not been for this internship and I now have experience in this field which should help me stand out when applying for jobs.

Perhaps most importantly, this internship, by giving me the freedom to work across a range of different tasks, I have learnt what I enjoy doing which has helped me in deciding what I do and don’t want to do in the future. Employers are looking for students that have skills and experience beyond their academic results. Internships are a great way to network with professionals, earn money, boost your CV, make friends and learn new skills. If you are a first year student, interested in a summer placement with one of the UK’s top companies, the first year internship bootcamp (2nd – 5th Feb.) is the event for you!

For more information like us on facebook, follow us on twitter, or check the website.  Check out yesterday’s Fortnightly Round Up post and Internships – the early bird gets the worm post  for more about What’s On and Internships.

Best wishes
Emma
Student Intern, Careers & Employability

Emma Green Intern 2014

Advice & Money I Careers & Employability I Counseling, Health & Wellbeing I Disability & Dyslexia