Health and Wellbeing, More, Preparing for your future

Take the ACTion course

Eleanor Brown, Student Counsellor, talks about the Take ACTion course offered by the Counselling, Health and Wellbeing Service…

Do you ever find yourself have a debate with your inner voice, perhaps justifying why you have put off that task or activity you planned on doing today or arguing about why you should be doing it when all you really feel like doing is anything BUT that task or activity? I know that feeling!

I’m so glad you’re here to read this Blog. I’ve never written one before and this is a new challenge for me. Writing a Blog has been on my ‘to-do’ list for some time. I knew I’d gain a sense of pride, satisfaction and pleasure from it (as well as it serving a useful purpose of providing information). It has been a work goal, rooted in two of my personal values – creative expression and sharing helpful knowledge and ideas. While it is fair to say that I have been busy with other things, I admit that I have procrastinated; my anxiety of ‘getting it wrong’ or ‘making a fool of myself’ getting in the way. I would get short-term relief from those anxieties by simply not getting started on the task and avoiding it, but in doing this, I am only prolonging the dilemma and increasing the psychological discomfort and making it a bigger problem than it actually needed to be. Through ACT I was able to recognise what my quick fix was…….to avoid the task……., establish what the outcome of this is………pro-long and increase psychological suffering in the long-run, including contributing to low self-esteem in the work-place…….., and to use simple strategies such as mindfulness and defusion to accept and work through this discomfort and pursue this goal – and therefore behave in a way that is in tune with the two personal values mentioned and ultimately work towards tackling that low self-esteem.

In trying to be happier and to make life more manageable we often strive for control, and do anything we can to avoid psychological discomfort (e.g.anxiety, embarrassment, sadness, confusion etc), but sometimes it can feel like no matter how hard we try, things seem to get harder over time.

ACT stands for ‘Acceptance and Commitment Therapy’ and is underpinned by two main principles: Accept the things you can’t control, and: Make a commitment to do what you can to improve your life, and features 6 core processes: awareness of self, mindfulness, acceptance, defusion, remembering our values and taking committed action.

Come along to this course and discover what barriers are in your way, how you can overcome them and develop greater psychological flexibility in the process.

Click here to book a place

Who is this course for?

This course is for any student who struggles with any sort of psychological pain and discomfort! Anyone can benefit from the ideas and strategies discussed during this programme. This is a more thorough insight into ACT compared to our one-off workshop version, ‘Intro to ACT’. In Take ACTion you will learn how to apply ACT strategies and ideas to your life.

What can I expect in each session?

Take ACTion is a three session course, each session is 1.5 hours long and runs over 3 weeks. The course is scheduled to run three times this year in November, February and May.

The sessions will include a mixture of lectures, videos and group discussion as well as personal time for in-session reflective exercises. There will also be a couple of simple homework activities.  There is no requirement to speak in front of a group or to join in with discussions, and you are welcome to just listen if that is what you would prefer.  Meeting with a group face to face can be a very rewarding experience. It is usually a relief to find other people who struggle at times, and to share ideas with them.

Contact the Counselling Health & Wellbeing Service

If you are experiencing any kind of emotional distress, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the Counselling, Health and Wellbeing Service who can offer support to anybody experiencing any sort of difficulty, however big or small.

The Counselling, Health and Wellbeing Service offer booked appointments via an online referral questionnaire, in which friendly, approachable staff can offer you non-judgmental support in a safe and confidential space. They also offer a daily Wellbeing Walk-In Service (3pm-3.45pm: Monday–Friday and Wednesday mornings: 9.30am-10.15am at the Student Support Centre at 50 Park Place)

If you are worried that you are experiencing physical symptoms that may be affecting your health, we strongly recommend you to make a GP appointment to discuss this. If you do not already have a GP, please contact NHS Wales on 0845 46 47 or check out their website.

Your feedback

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and Facebook.

Best Wishes

Eleanor Brown, Student Counsellor and Wellbeing Practitioner

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including:Advice & MoneyCareers & EmployabilityCounselling, Health & WellbeingDisability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.