Care leavers and estranged students

Support for care leavers and estranged students

Meet Einir, the key contact for care leavers and estranged students

Einir, our dedicated contact for care leavers and estranged students, gives a warm welcome to new and returning students and explains the support available… 

My name is Einir England and I am the dedicated contact for Care Leavers and Estranged students at Cardiff University. I have been on maternity leave for the past year and my lovely colleague Paula Barker has been covering this role. I am now back and would like to introduce myself if we haven’t met and if we have met, you can now get in touch with me if you need to.

I am based in the Advice and Money Team on the 3rd floor of the Student’s Union building. You can get in touch with me by e-mail address: EnglandE1@cardiff.ac.uk or my phone number is 029 2087 4787.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome all new students and to say welcome back returning students!

My role within the university is very unique as I am the dedicated first point of contact for any student who has been estranged from their families. This could mean that you have been officially through the care system, or if the estrangement happened later in your teens, you might not have had any dealings with Social Service.

Some of things I can help with are:

• Support with applying for student funding, including making an application and liaising with your funding body if there are any problems.
  • Assist you in managing your money while at university;
  • Support with academic related issues including liaising with your academic department / course tutors.
  • Assist with any housing issues: finding accommodation, problems with landlords etc.
  • Sign-posting towards other Cardiff University services
  • Applying for additional sources of funding such as the Financial Assistance Programme and charitable trusts.
  • Or simply just someone to talk to if you need to.

Just a quick reminder about the Care Leaver Bursary:

If you have applied for the Care Leaver Bursary, then I will be in contact soon to let you know when the cheque is ready for you to collect. For those of you who haven’t applied for the bursary, I would encourage you to do so. This is a reminder of the eligibility criteria:

You must be a Full-time Undergraduate student, started your course in September 2012 or later and be eligible to receive funding as a “home” student. You also must have a recent history of being in care or estranged:

either;

• having been in Care for  6 months from the age of 14 or
  • having been in Care for 3 months from the age of 16 or
  • have been irreconcilably estranged from my parents or guardians between the age of16 and leaving school or FE College (These will be considered on a case by case basis)

and

• have been in care/estranged in the last 10 years

The value of the award is £3,000 and is usually paid: £1,000 in the first year, £750 in each subsequent academic years and an additional £500 in the final term of your degree, if you are on a 3 year course. All you need to do is complete the application form that’s available on the intranet and include evidence of your care leaving/ estrangement status. Or give me a call to discuss your situation and I can e-mail you an application form.

If you want any further information please get in contact with me:
E-mail: EnglandE1@cardiff.ac.uk
Telephone: 029 2087 4787.

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too.  To help us support more students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best wishes,
Einir 

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.