Managing your money

Support for care leavers and estranged students – things to do before the end of the academic year

Einir, our dedicated Advisor for care leavers and estranged students, highlights the support available to you and key things you need to do before the end of the academic year…

Einir Care Leaver Video Image

Have you seen Einir’s new video yet? Click here to view and share. English and Welsh versions available.


I can’t believe we are in the final term already! This academic year has gone so quickly. I hope this year has treated you all well and you are prepared for any assessments that await you this term. Don’t panic if not, there is plenty of time yet. I wanted to take this opportunity to remind you of a few things in relation to student support during this time of year.


Reapply for funding

Yes, unfortunately, you do have to reapply for funding each year of your course! If you haven’t already done so, you can log into your online account with Student Finance and reapply. If you are funded by Student Finance Wales you have until 10th June or if you apply through Student Finance England you have until the 24th June. If you are a continuing NHS funded student, or a Medicine or Dental Surgery student going into the 5th Year of your course in 2016/17, you will get a reminder about applying for funding for the next year of your course.  This should include advice about how to apply and whether this should be done online or via a paper application.  If you are a Medicine or Dental Surgery student and you lived in Wales prior to the course you apply via NHS SAS (Wales) or if you lived in England prior to your course you apply via NHS Business Services Authority (England).  All other healthcare students apply via NHS SAS (Wales). You can apply for your Maintenance Loan now.

If you need advice and assistance with reapplying, please get in touch. If you applied and provided evidence of being a care leaver in your 1st year, you don’t have to prove this every year as long as you still tick to say you are a care leaver. However, if you applied as an estranged student, you need to provide evidence every year to confirm you are still estranged. This is something I can do for you if you have received support from me, so get in touch.


Accommodation over the summer

Remember that Cardiff University provides accommodation to care leavers and estranged students for 52 weeks of the year. If you’re currently living in Halls, your contract will most probably end 13th June. If you would like to extend this and stay on in Halls during the summer, please get in touch with me so I can speak to the Residence Department for you and arrange this.

If you are a care leaver, receiving leaving care support from your Local Authority, they should be helping you during the summer in either finding you accommodation or paying for your accommodation in Cardiff. Check with your Personal Adviser on how they will be helping you. Again, if you need me to help you, get in touch.


Guarantor Scheme

Just a quick reminder about our guarantor scheme. If you are still looking for accommodation for next academic year and want someone to act as your guarantor, Cardiff University might be able to do so. Please see my previous blog about this.


Financial Assistance Programme

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, the university has a fund (with money left in it) to assist students. As care leavers and estranged students, you are given priority when applying. I would encourage you to make an application, even if you are in your final year. Further information can be found by logging into the intranet.


Extenuating Circumstances

A quick reminder that if you experience any personal circumstances that may affect your ability to perform at your usual level, you need to report them before your School deadline. My colleagues wrote an informative blog about this back in January. It’s worth reading if you’re not sure what to do.


Final year students

I can’t believe you are all coming to the end of your course! If you have been receiving a Bursary from us every year of your course, I will be in touch soon to make arrangement for you to come in and collect the last £500 cheque. This money is designed to help you with costs you might incur when you leave university such as paying a bond for a new house. If you could do with assistance with other costs such as Graduation, please apply to the FAPA that I mention above.

If you have been receiving leaving care support from your Local Authority, they should also be supporting you and help you prepare for life after you finish your course. Make sure you contact your Personal Adviser so that you have your final review meeting before you leave your course.


Get in touch!

I work full time at the university so will be in the Student Support Centre this term and most of the summer, so please get in touch with me if you need anything: 029 2087 4787

I will be on annual leave for three weeks from 15th April and returning on 9th May. If you need any support or assistance during this period, please contact my colleagues who will be more than happy to help: 029 2087 4528

As always, if you would like any advice about funding, welfare or academic issues, come and see the Advice and Money Team at the Student Support Centres, 50 Park Place and Cardigan House at the Heath campus.


Best wishes
Einir England, Dedicated contact for Care Leavers and Estranged Students
Advice and Money Team

Einir ESLA15

Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply