Managing your money

Support for care leavers and estranged students approaching the end of the academic year

Einir Evans from our Advice & Money team provides support for care leavers and estranged students. Here Einir gives us a reminder of the support available as we approach the end of the academic year …

Einir ESLA15

I can’t believe we are in the final term already! This academic year has gone so quickly. I hope this year has treated you all well and you are prepared for any assessments that await you this term. Don’t panic if not, there is plenty of time yet.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you of a few things in relation to student support during this time of year.

Reapply for funding

Yes, unfortunately, you do have to reapply for funding each year of your course! If you haven’t already done so, you can log into your online account with Student Finance and reapply. If you are funded by Student Finance Wales you have until 12th June or 30th June if you apply through Student Finance England. If you’re funded by the NHS, you will be sent forms for the NHS bursary in due course, but you can apply for your Maintenance Loan now.

If you need advice and assistance with reapplying, please get in touch. If you applied and provided evidence of being a care leaver in your 1st year, you don’t have to prove this every year. However, if you applied as an estranged student, you need to provide evidence every year to confirm you are still estranged. This is something I can do for you if you have received support from me, so get in touch.

Accommodation over the summer

Remember that Cardiff University provides accommodation to care leavers and estranged students for 52 weeks of the year. If you’re currently living in Halls, your contract will most probably end mid June. If you would like to extend this and stay on in Halls during the summer, please get in touch with me so I can speak to the Residence Department for you and arrange this.

If you are a care leaver, receiving leaving care support from your Local Authority, they should be helping you during the summer in either finding you accommodation or paying for your accommodation in Cardiff. Check with your Personal Adviser on how they will be helping you. Again, if you need me to help you, get in touch.

Guarantor Scheme

Just a quick reminder about our guarantor scheme. If you are still looking for accommodation for next academic year and want someone to act as your guarantor, Cardiff University might be able to do so. Please see my previous blog about this.

Financial Contingency Fund

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, the university has a fund (with money left in it) to assist students. As care leavers and estranged students, you are given priority when applying. I would encourage you to make an application, even if you are in your final year. Further information can be found by logging into the intranet; you can also read my colleague Sheila’s and final year student Liam’s blog post.

Extenuating Circumstances

A quick reminder that if you experience any personal circumstances that may affect your ability to perform at your usual level, you need to report them before your School deadline. My colleagues wrote an informative blog about this back in January. It’s worth reading if you’re not sure what to do.

Final year students

I can’t believe you are all coming to the end of your course! If you have been receiving a Bursary from us every year of your course, I will be in touch soon to make arrangement for you to come in and collect the last £500 cheque. This money is designed to help you with costs you might incur when you leave university such as paying a bond for a new house. If you could do with assistance with other costs such as Graduation, please apply to the FCF that I mention above.

If you have been receiving leaving care support from your Local Authority, they should also be supporting you and help you prepare for life after you finish your course. Make sure you contact your Personal Adviser so that you have your final review meeting before you leave your course.

Thank you

And finally, as you can see from the photo, one of you lovely people nominated me for an Enriching Student Life Award. I have now been told that I have been shortlisted also so thank you so much, it really means a lot. I work full time at the university so will be in the Student Support Centre this term and most of the summer, so please get in touch with me if you need anything.

Best wishes
Einir Evans,  Key Contact for Care Leavers & Estranged Students

Einir1

Advice & Money I Careers & Employability I Counselling, Health & Wellbeing I Disability & Dyslexia

Contact Einir by Email: EvansE23@cardiff.ac.uk  or Tel: 029 2087 4787.