Careers Advice, More, Preparing for your future, Recruiters, What's On, Work Experience

Summer Careers Fair: Hear from employers first hand about the benefits of attending

Helen, our Employer Liaison Officer, shares the top reasons for you to attend.

Summer Fair 2

For those graduating this Summer and students from other year groups wanting to find out what opportunities employers are offering, the Summer Careers Fair 2017 is a fantastic event to meet employers. There are a wide range of companies attending the event that will appeal to a variety of students.

We’ve asked some of the companies who will be there on the day what they believe to be the best reasons for you to attend the Summer Careers Fair on Tuesday 6 June:

James – Head of International Recruitment at Abercrombie & Fitch

“I never expected the career I have got but I am so pleased I found it at the Cardiff Careers Fair Summer 2010”

Sian – HR Manager at Explore Learning

“The Cardiff University Summer Careers Fair is a great opportunity to meet potential future employers and get a feel for what career may be right for you. I went along as a Cardiff student and now return every year as an employer because I know how useful it is to speak, face to face, to someone that works for the organisation you are interested in- it beats a careers page every time!”

Ben – Graduate Trainee at Admiral Group Plc

“I completed my MA History at Cardiff University in 2016 and during my final year of study, I was keen to take advantage of the career fair opportunities the University offered.

The fair I attended was well organised and a vast array of businesses were present, however it was the Admiral staff that drew my attention. They were friendly, approachable and offered helpful advice and guidance relating to their application process. They gave the impression Admiral was a company full of ambitious, personable and successful people.

In late 2016 I was exceptionally happy to have secured a position on Admiral’s graduate programme, providing me with the opportunity to work in a prestigious and well-respected FTSE 100 company. If I had not attended the fair and met Admiral’s representatives I may not have entered the application process. I’m both very grateful for the University in organising the fair and for Admiral to sending such helpful members of staff.”

Ebed – Third Sector Development Officer at Cardiff Volunteer Centre

“As The Cardiff Volunteer Centre Coordinator, I would recommend everyone attends the Cardiff University Summer Careers Fair on Tuesday 6 June, if you are looking to get a foot in any industry as volunteering provides that step ladder. The fair has some of the best opportunities to offer.”

Tom – Recruitment Associate at Think Ahead

“Students should attend the Summer Fair as it’s a great opportunity to get a flavour of the culture of the organisations they want to work for. I’d advise them to ask pre-planned, specific questions about how they can stand out, including what volunteering experience to get in advance of applying and what attributes are most important in the assessment process.”

The Summer Careers Fair takes place on Tuesday, 6 June, from 11.30 – 15.30 at City Hall, Cardiff CF10 3ND. Make sure to click *going* on the Facebook event to receive all the latest news and updates. See you there!

Summer Fair

Stay in touch

All the latest news and events leading up to and during the events are available on Careers and Employability’s Facebook and Twitter feeds. Please join us in sharing these events and information with your fellow students.