Here’s a brief note of what our teams are up to and the activity they’d like you to be aware of and get involved in over the next two weeks …
Whether its exam stress, money worries, interview nerves, feeling low, job hunting, housing advice, trouble sleeping … anything … if you need support come and see us! We work with hundreds of students weekly, you are not alone, please drop in at the Student Support Centre to access our full range of support.
Advice & Money Team
- If you don’t have enough money to cover your essential living or study costs, read our blog post and come and talk to our Advisers. The FCF can also help you cover costs involved in attending graduation.
- Need help finding university or private accommodation? Advice on when to start looking? What your rights are? How you get my bond back? How you can get released from your contract? Speak to our Advisers.
- Would you like help funding unique activities that extend beyond your academic studies or society involvement. Find out about alumni grants.
- Support for care-leavers and estranged students approaching the end of the academic-year – read Einir’s blog.
Careers & Employability Team
- CV workshop for First Year BIOSI students on Wednesday 29 April at 11.10am in E1.21, Bioscience.
- Teach First – Education Matters Debate Tuesday 5 May 2015 Council Chamber, Main Building from 6- 8.30pm. Teach First are bringing their popular series of debates to Cardiff University, holding a panel and discussion with some of the biggest names in Education in Wales today. The debate will be available bilingually, discussing what needs to be done to close the gap in achievement between Wales’ poorest and wealthiest children. Please use the link below to the sign up for the debate: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/education-matters-in-wales-panel-and-debate-tickets-16532033758
- Graduating this summer? Exclusively for Cardiff University new graduates the work experience team have a handful of subsidised local paid internships that last three months to fill your summer.
Follow us on Twitter @ExpWorksCU or check out our vacancies https://cardiff.targetconnect.net/open/jobSearch.html?employer=443449
- Undergrads staying in Cardiff in the summer? Interested in gaining a work experience insight? If you are a current undergraduate at Cardiff University we can offer you insights in your chosen field, set up flexibly around your summer commitments to help you get valuable work experience. Register here and keep an eye out for an email asking for your summer requirements. https://cardiff.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/expworks14
Counselling, Health & Wellbeing Team
- Would you like a little help in understanding and coping with feelings of grief? We are running a Making Sense of Grief workshop on Tuesday 5 May. You can find out more, and book a place, here.
- Sometimes the desire for perfection can cause stress, anxiety and depression. We are running a workshop on Perfectionism on Thursday 7 May, which will teach you techniques and strategies to help you to re-evaluate and change your perfectionist beliefs and behaviours. You can find out more, and book a place, here.
- Are you looking of ways to help you improve your wellbeing? We are running a Wannabe Well workshop which will focus on strategies you can use to strike a good balance, look after yourself, and improve your wellbeing. The workshop will run on Friday 8 May. You can find out more, and book a place, here.
- Would you like to gain control of your anxiety? We are running a workshop on Exam Anxiety on Friday 8 May. We will teach you effective strategies to control your anxiety, enabling you to concentrate and think clearly when studying for and sitting your exams. You can find out more, and book a place, here.
- We are running a workshop on anxiety and stress on Tuesday 12 May. We will explore what anxiety and stress look like, and how they are maintained, but we will focus on strategies you can use to manage anxiety and stress. You can find out more, and book a place, here.
- Chat to a member of our team at our daily drop-ins, Monday – Friday, 3-3.45pm, 50 Park Place (First Floor) and Wednesday morning, 9.30-10.15am, 50 Park Place (First Floor). Also available at Cardigan House at the Heath Park Campus on Wednesdays between 1pm – 2pm.
- Need support outside of our regular opening hours? Access our online support programme available 24/7!
- Take a look at our new video on Social Anxiety – thanks to Chris a second year Business School student.
- Meningitis – keep an eye on yourself and your friends! Read our blog post for tips on how to recognise it and what to do.
Disability and Dyslexia Team
- For appointments with the Disability, Dyslexia and Mental Health Advisers email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02920 874844.
- Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Screenings- email email@example.com or call 02920 874844.
- 30 min Drop in Appointments with a Disability Adviser – Mon-Thurs 1-4pm, last appointment is 3.30pm
- 30 min Study Skills Drop in Appointments with our Study Skills Adviser – Tuesday afternoons 3-4.30pm, last appointment 4pm and Thursday mornings 9.30-11am, last appointment 10.30am.
- Study Needs Assessments for students receiving Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).
- For information about our Support Worker Service email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To book your DSA approved 1-1 Specialist Study Support email email@example.com or call 02920 875363.
International Student Support Team
International students please be aware of an on going telephone scam … There have several reports of international students being called from a telephone number that is a recognised Home Office phone number (0207 035 4848,) but it is not the Home Office calling. The fraudsters may ask for the student’s personal information, or may request money in order for the student to avoid a visit from the Home Office or deportation. The fraudsters may allege the student has committed a serious crime by not completing an alien registration form. Please do not give out any personal information or pay any money if this happens to you. If you have been targeted please report this to the police or to Action Fraud: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk. If you want to discuss this with the International Student Support team please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
And finally …
If you haven’t heard we are really pleased to have staff nominated and shortlisted for the Enriching Student Life Awards and wish them all the very best for the ESLA ceremony that takes place on 7th May. Thank you for your nominations.
Please drop-in at The Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place (Student High Street) and Cardigan House (Heath Park campus), or find us the Intranet, to access our full range of support and information.
Follow us on social media for daily updates on events and any other news and information we think will be of interest to you, follow us twitter: studentlifecu and cardiffcareers; like us on facebook: studentlifecu and cardiffunicareers
Marketing Manager, Student Support & Wellbeing Division
Your Student Life, Supported.
Advice & Money I Careers & Employability I Counseling, Health & Wellbeing I Disability & Dyslexia