Advice for living in Cardiff and the UK, Health and Wellbeing, Managing your money, New Students, Preparing for your future, Supporting your study

Come in! Student Support at Cardigan House

Our Student Intern, Kate, tells us more about the Student Support Centre at Cardigan House…

Cardigan House

The Student Support and Wellbeing team at Cardigan house offer confidential advice and support on a range of topics including: advice for your student life, student occupational health, finances, housing, health and wellbeing, disability and dyslexia and careers and employability.

Come and find us – look out for the blue door at Cardigan House

Thanks to me and fellow intern Vic for this video that shows how easy it is to find the Student Support Centre at Cardigan House when walking from the Hospital concourse.

Enquiry Point Advisers are your first point of contact

When you first arrive at Cardigan House check-in at the Enquiry Point where one of the Advisors will offer initial assistance and sign post you to the most appropriate staff to help you.



Here to keep your health on track

Student Occ Health

From time to time life may throw a spanner in the works and a health problem may be affecting your ability to complete some elements of your course. This is where student occupational health services come in! The team is there to ensure you receive an assessment of your ability to study and of how the university can then continue to support you through your studies. There are a number of services the team offers including: enrolment screening, immunisations, fitness to study, fitness to practice and health promotions.

Referrals to occupational health

To gain access to the services offered by Occupational Health your personal tutor or programme manager must refer you, before you are assessed by the Occupational Health team. If you have a health condition which is impacting your ability to study or attend clinical placement, please discuss this with your tutor as soon as possible. Referrals by tutors may then be made and the referrals form completed and submitted.

You can contact Student Occupational Health by email ( or by phone +44 (0)29 2087 4810.


Meningitis Vaccination

Public Health Wales recommend that students under the age of 25 attending university for the first time receive the Meningitis ACWY vaccination. More details on these vaccinations can be found on the vaccinations for all university students page. However, if you are a health student then you need to have additional vaccinations as well.


Here to help you with student life advice when things don’t go to plan


So you’ve moved out of home into university and you get your student loan through, then realise you have to be an adult and pay for food, accommodation, bills, social life, transport, gym membership Netflix, as well as everything else that comes with living independently like house hunting, negotiating housework and much more besides. It’s a lot isn’t it? Well rest assured that the Advice and Money team are available to provide students with a variety of advice, services and support relating to:

  • Student funding, money management and emergency funds
    Bursaries and scholarships
    Housing, including dealing with Agents and housemates
    Academic issues, extenuating circumstances, interruption of study and withdrawing from university

Watch the Advice and Money team video

More videos including: getting your bond back, money saving tips, moving in tips, completing your declaration form, working part time, budgeting and more are available at studentlifecu on Youtube.

Contact Advice and Money  Email:  Tel: +44 (0)29 2087 4844.


Here to help you through the trickier times of university when you need that extra helping hand or someone to talk to


The transition to university and student life can bring many challenges and it’s not uncommon for students to experience a range of emotions and conditions and to find themselves in situations that are uncommon to them and may feel overwhelming.

The Counselling Health and Wellbeing team actively encourage students to live an active and healthy life whilst at University and are on hand to support you throughout your time at university should you experience:

  • Anxiety, stress and depression
  • Homesickness and loneliness
  • Eating disorders
  • Relationship issues
  • Self harm
  • Compulsive and addictive behavior
  • Bereavement.

Don’t hesitate to contact Counselling, Health and Wellbeing if you or a friend are experiencing difficulties or are in crisis. You can access support via:


Watch the Counselling, Health and Wellbeing team video

More videos including Fresher’s support, relaxation techniques and social anxiety are available at studentlifecu on Youtube.

Contact Counselling, Health and Wellbeing:  Email:  Tel:+44 (0)29 2087 4966.


Here to support disabled students, including students with specific learning difficulties and mental health conditions


If you have a sensory or physical impairment, mental health condition, long-term health condition, dyslexia, other specific learning difficulty or are on the autism spectrum, I strongly advise you to get in touch with the Disability and Dyslexia team. The team work with students and staff across the University to coordinate support and provide specialist services to help assist you throughout your university life, and which can make a huge difference to your university experience as highlighted in the video below.

Services and support include:

  • Confidential advice, guidance and information tailored to students individual needs
  • Assistance with identifying students support needs and the reasonable adjustments required
  • Advice on students eligibility and applications for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
  • Access to Needs Assessments for the DSA to determine students personal study support and technology requirements
  • Liaison with Academic Schools and other departments to advise and implement reasonable adjustments for you
  • Support Workers to assist students e.g. orientation, note takers, and library assistance
  • Study skills support to help students with their studies
  • Mentoring services for students who have mental health difficulties or are on the autism spectrum.

It’s best to make contact with the team who can work with you to provide advice and assistance relevant to your individual needs – the sooner you make contact the better!


Watch the Disability and Dyslexia team’s latest video

More videos are available at studentlifecu on Youtube.

Contact Disability and Dyslexia:  Email: or  Tel: +44 (0)29 874844.

Here to help you get set for your future career


University can be the best time to get set for your future career, and indeed research suggests that students who engage with their careers advisor earlier in their course are more likely to find work following graduation! There are so many things that the Careers and Employability service can help you with, including:

Contact Careers and Employability  Email:  Tel: +44 (0)29 2087 4844.

Keep up to date with Careers and Employability

Keep up to date with opportunities and events run by Careers and Employability by liking their page on facebook, or following them on twitter.


Where is Cardigan House?

Here is a map showing the location within the Heath Campus. Also watch the video above.

Heath Park - 15_Page_1


Stay in touch whilst on placement

Students can still access support whilst on placement via Cardigan House or online. Please do not hesitate to contact the relevant team who will assist you accordingly.


Related services

There is even more support available to you:

Here for you throughout your student life! Found out how Student Support can help you

Come in! Why students should visit 50 Park Place

All are Welcome! Why students should call into 51a Park Place

How the International Student Support team can help you

Park Place Surgery.


Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog useful? Please help us by commenting in the bar below and not any questions there too.

To help us aid more of your fellow students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons or via twitter.


Best wishes,

Kate, Student Intern


Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centrehas a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply