Whatever life brings your way, don’t face it alone, we may be able to help. Katrina Taylor outlines what the Student Support & Wellbeing teams have to offer students in March …
It may be money worries, interview nerves, feeling low, job hunting, housing advice, trouble sleeping … anything … if you need support don’t hesitate to come and see us!
We work with hundreds of students each week to help them and to offer them insights and opportunities, here is a brief overview of just some (not all) of the events and activity taking place over the next two weeks: –
Advice & Money …
- If you don’t have enough money to cover your essential living or study costs, talk to our Advisers – FCF drop in Weds afternoon.
- Need help finding university or private accommodation? Advice on when to start looking? What your rights are? How you get my bond back? How you can get released from your contract? Speak to our Advisers.
- Do you work during your studies? You will need a National Insurance Number. You are also very likely going to have to pay National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax – find out more.
- Would you like help funding unique activities that extend beyond your academic studies or society involvement. Find out about alumni grants.
Careers & Employability …
- The Royal Navy are here 15-19th March at locations across the Uni promoting the great range of student & graduate opportunities in the Navy.
- How to design a CV in the way that is best for you together with tips on how to search for the job you really want. CV and Creative Job Search workshop, Weds 18 March 2.10pm.
- No matter what career path you’re interested in, the ability to do a SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat) analysis is a valuable tool, which can even be transferred into everyday life.to do SWOT Analysis workshop, Weds 18 March 2.10pm, Students’ Union.
- Are you an ambitious Chinese student studying in the UK and wanting to know how to get an internship or a job? Mandarin Consultant Presentation, Weds 18 March 2.30pm, Tower Building – Lecture Theatre 1.05 (Stanley Parris).
- Do you have a science & technology based idea with or would like to know how to exploit the intellectual property from these sorts of inventions? How to Commercialise Technology Based Ideas – Enterprise Workshop, Thurs 19 March, 6pm, Students’ Union.
- Thinking about developing, running or growing a business? Here’s your opportunity to network, ask questions or get tips from entrepreneurs who are running real live businesses Confessions of an Entrepreneur – Enterprise Speaker Session, 26-Mar-2015 18:00, Students’ Union.
And there’s …
- Have you got what it takes to make a great presentation? Read our blog post and drop-in and see a Career Consultant if you need help.
- The Launch Box – Free test-trading space in the Students’ Union available to students of any discipline. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Summer Market – Test-trading opportunity this summer as part of the Summer festival in Cardiff Bay.
- Year 1 Event: Integrated Placement Programme, Weds 18th March, 1:15pm – 4pm, Room 1.19, Postgraduate Centre. For Year 1 Business Management students only.
- CV workshop for 1st year bioscience students. Tues 17th March, 9am, Julian Hodge LT.
- Phd student event for all Bioscience years – specifically targeting 2nd and final years. Wed 18th March 5.15 – 6.30pm. Book by emailing Nikki, employability adviser in BIOSI. email@example.com.
- The Student Law Society also has 2 careers sessions: Life as a Trainee at Freshfields: Thurs 19th March 5-7pm, Law School Rm 0.22. And Michelomes Negotiation Exercise: Thurs 26th March 2-4.30, Law School Rm 1.30. All welcome.
Counselling Health & Wellbeing …
- Is perfection causing you stress anxiety and depression? Helping you deal with Perfectionism – student workshop – Wed 18 March 2.00-3.30pm.
- Self injury can be difficult to understand or accept, read our blog and come and see a Counsellor if you are affected by this.
- Chat to a member of our team at our daily drop-ins, Monday – Friday, 15.00-15.45pm, 50 Park Place (First Floor) and Wednesday morning, 9.30-10.15, 50 Park Place (First Floor).
- Need support outside of our regular opening hours? Access our online support programme available 24/7!
- What would you do if you got arrested? Read our blog and come and see us if we can help.
Disability and Dyslexia …
- For appointments with the Disability, Dyslexia and Mental Health Advisers email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02920 874844.
- Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Screenings- email email@example.com or call 02920 874844.
- 30 min Drop in Appointments with a Disability Adviser – Mon-Thurs 13.00-16.00, last appointment is 15.30.
- 30 min Study Skills Drop in Appointments with our Study Skills Adviser – Tuesday afternoons 15.00-16.30pm, last appointment 16.00 and Thursday mornings 9.30-11.00, last appointment 10.30.
- Study Needs Assessments for students receiving Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).
- For information about our Support Worker Service email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To book your DSA approved 1-1 Specialist Study Support email email@example.com or call 02920 875363.
And finally …
Staff from Student Support & Wellbeing are here to support you … please drop-in at The Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place (Student High Street) and Cardigan House (Heath Park campus), or find us online, to access our full range of support and information.
Don’t miss out! Follow us on social media for daily updates on events and any other news and information we think will be of interest to you, follow us twitter: studentlifecu and cardiffcareers; like us on facebook: studentlifecu and cardiffunicareers
Marketing Manager, Student Support & Wellbeing Division
Your Student Life, Supported.
Advice & Money I Careers & Employability I Counseling, Health & Wellbeing I Disability & Dyslexia