Budgeting, Managing your money, More, Student Finance

Remember to re-apply for funding for next year!

Are you in your first, second or penultimate year of study?  Do you get student funding now?  Would you like it again next year?  Did you know that you need to reapply for funding each academic year?  The Advice and Money Team tells us more …

In the talks we, the Advice and Money Team, give to Cardiff University applicants and their parents, on average, 53% of them don’t know that you need to reapply for funding each year of your course.

The good news is that the process is simpler and more-streamlined after the first year. If you want to get an idea of the funding you may receive, you need to go to your funding body’s website and look for information on funding as a ‘Continuing Student’ – the term Continuing is used to differentiate you from a New Applicant.

If you are funded by Student Finance Wales (SFW) or Student Finance England (SFE)

Sometime in the next month or so you will get an e-mail advising you to reapply for funding for next academic year online. Remember that you reapply to the funding body that funded you last academic year. Please reapply in time so that your funding will be paid to you at the right time for next academic year. Your funding body will advertise their application deadlines.

All students can actually apply for funding up to 9 months in to each academic year of your course, but the spring deadlines mean that your funding should be in place for when you return in September. This is particularly important if you are means-tested, which means you or your parents’ household income needs to be assessed. It’s also important if you want to receive your first instalment of funding for the academic year within 3-5 working days of enrolling on to the next year of your course. If you leave applying for your funding until you return in September, you could find you are waiting until November, or even December, before any funding is paid to you.

Most applicants will apply online, but if you do complete a paper form, make sure it’s the right one. For continuing students from England or Wales, the form is a PR1 (R for returning), as opposed to a PN1 which is for New Applicants (You can remember N for new). For either online or paper forms, you will need your Customer Reference Number to hand.

It’s important that your funding body has up to date contact details for you, so if you have moved or your family has moved, or if you have changed mobile or email address, it would be wise to give them a ring to make sure their systems have the most up to date information.

If you are funded by Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland

You will be contacted automatically via email with a reminder to re-apply. If you have not heard anything by the end of March, it may be worth getting in touch with your funding body.

If you are funded as an EU student

You will be sent a form to your home address to reapply for Tuition Fee support. This is a much shorter form than you had to complete for your first year. If you haven’t heard from them by June 2019, you can download the form from the Student Finance Wales website.

If you are funded by the NHS

If you are a continuing NHS funded student, or a Medicine or Dental Surgery student going into the 5th Year of your course in 2019/20, you will get a reminder about applying for funding for the next year of your course. This should include advice about how to apply and whether this should be done online or via a paper application.  If you are a Medicine or Dental Surgery student and you lived in Wales prior to the course you apply via NHS SAS (Wales) or if you lived in England prior to your course you apply via NHS Business Services Authority (England).  All other healthcare students apply via NHS SAS (Wales)

And finally…..it’s not too late to apply for funding for 2018/19!

If you are a current student and have chosen not to apply for either tuition fee funding or maintenance funding, it’s not too late to apply for this current year, 2018/19. You have 9 months from the start of your course to put in an application, which means your funding body will accept applications until 31s May 2019. This also includes EU students, who are entitled to tuition fee support.

If you would like any advice about funding, welfare or academic issues, come and see the Advice and Money Team in the Student Support area of the Students Union, 3rd Floor or at Cardigan House, 2nd Floor, at the Heath campus. 

Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and Money, Careers and Employability, Counselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply