Managing your money

Problems with your student funding?

Sometimes Student Funding does not come as expected, here our Advice & Money team share their tips for making sure you follow the right steps …

student funding

If you are a home student you have the right to apply for a Maintenance Loan. This is an amount of money that is sent to your bank account to cover your living costs during your time at university such as rent, bills and course material. The quantity you receive depends on your household’s income, where you are studying and where you are from. However, the application process might appear confusing and time-consuming.

These are the steps you need to take:

1. Apply

You need to apply to student finance as soon as possible, depending on where you are from, you will have to apply to a different division.

English students: www.studentfinanceengland.co.uk

Welsh students: www.studentfinancewales.co.uk.

Scottish Students: www.saas.gov.uk

Northern Ireland Students: www.studentfinanceni.co.uk

2. Notification Letter

You should receive a notification letter shortly after applying. If you haven’t received one check your online account as it might have been sent already or your application might still be under assessment.

3. Declaration

Unless you sign and return your declaration, you will NOT receive your funding. You should be able to find a copy at the end of your notification letter on your online account.

4. Enrolment

All students need to enrol and 1st years must also pick up your student ID card before the Student Loans Company will release your funding. This takes 3-5 days, however, bear in mind that delays in your first instalment are common due to the large amount of new applicants who need to be registered into the system.

5. Problems

If you have completed all the above but still haven’t received your funding please contact the Advice and Money Team for assistance in resolving your funding delay.

Delays to funding at the beginning of the year are very common, however a small number may take a while to resolve and you may find yourself in financial hardship. Cardiff University offers students with no other available funding a small repayable Emergency Loan to help with essential living costs until their funding is received.

To enquire about an Emergency Loan, call into the Advice and Money Service at the Student Support Centre. You need to bring an up-to-date bank statements or cashpoint statements and current balances for all your accounts. You will be interviewed by an adviser who will discuss your emergency situation.

Read our other posts from Advice & Money.

Best wishes,

Advice & Money Team

SymbolFull_Col_AM

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and  Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.  

For further details of  services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.

• great site

Excellent items from you, man. I’ve take into account your stuff prior to and
    you’re just too magnificent. I actually like what you’ve bought here, really
    like what you are saying and the way in which during which you
    say it. You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it wise.
    I can’t wait to learn far more from you. That is really
    a great web site.

• site web

Thanks for finally talking about >Problems with your
    student funding? – Your Student Life, Supported – Cardiff University <Loved it!

• continue reading this..

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a
    marvellous job!

• continue

I have read several excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.

I surprise how much effort you place to make this sort of great informative site.

• Kiersten

Ahaa, its nice conversation about this article here at
    this blog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.

• shopping blog

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog!

I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your
    RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this website with
    my Facebook group. Chat soon!

• RayeXDuesing

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility
    issues. When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, amazing blog!