Health and Wellbeing, Student Stories

Movember, Men’s Health and support for Cardiff Students

Will, our Student Marketing Intern tells us more about Movember… 

will

Yes, it is that time of year again. Time for men from all across the land to unite as Mo Bros and collectively raise awareness and funding for men’s health.  Here’s more about the cause and what we’ll be doing in Student Support.

What is Movember?

Movember is now becoming an annual tradition across the globe which shows how far the charity has come since it’s birth in 2003. Since then, millions of people have participated in Movember and helped to raise £402 million in funding for over 1,000 programmes dedicated to prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and physical inactivity. An already remarkable achievement.

The Movember Foundation continues to builds on their successes and expand each year. Recently, I went to the Depot and attended the Cardiff Movember Launch Party hosted by Movember UK and the National Centre for Mental Health (NCMH). When I was there I had a brief chat with Paul Hunter who informed me of the Cardiff Mo Awards, where teams of up to 5 Mo Bro’s can sign up and create their own fundraising pages. Teams compete against each other in order to to raise as much money as possible for the Movember Foundation and the Velindre Cancer Centre.

At the NCMH launch party I met many organisers and participants so visibly passionate for the cause, it is clear that the Movember Foundation is far from reaching it’s peak.

Many Cardiff Uni Students are set to take part – are you?

Each year, many Movember participants come from Cardiff University societies and sports teams which will only continue spreading the message of men’s health further. For example, Cardiff University Rugby Club aim to raise over £1000 this month. Such wide participation naturally encourages others to participate. It is still early in the month, but the foundations are set for another incredible year for the Movember Foundation.

Me and my Mo

As the second week of Movember begins, my moustache is finally beginning to move out of the 5 o’clock shadow phase.

I’ll be following tips from the Moustachery  and hope that I can build on last year’s effort (pictured here).

MOv

I shall write to you again at the end of the month and reveal my mogress. In the meantime, I hope to see many hairy upper lips over the course of the month and consequently initiate numerous conversations about male health. After all, that is what Movember is all about.

Share your ‘mogress’

Update us with your Mo progress, share your Mo style  and your men’s health tips with us at Studentlifecu tweet us or tag us in your facebook posts.

Have you accessed the support available to you at Cardiff Uni?

This is the second year I’ve worked in the Student Support & Wellbeing division, who are really supportive of Movember, men’s health and supporting students throughout their University life.  If you have any worries, however big or small they are here to support you and offer many different staff and resources to help whatever the issue. You can drop in at the Student Support Centres 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus to find out more about our teams Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support and find out more about how they can support you. Further details of services, events, opening times and more are available on the University Intranet.

Student Support are also on twitter and Facebook , so follow/like us to stay in touch.

I now leave you with this…

Brad

See you at the end of the month!

Best wishes,

Will Brown – Marketing Intern

SymbolFull_Col_SSW

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.