Managing your money, Uncategorized

It’s National Care Leavers Week – Here’s how we are supporting Care Leavers

Einir your Care Leaver contact in our Advice & Money Team tells us more about National Care Leavers Week and the support available at Cardiff University  …

NCLW_Logo_2015_twitter_

Between the 22nd – 30th October 2015, charities and different organisations around the UK will be celebrating National Care Leavers Week. This week is about highlighting the needs of care leavers and encouraging the agencies responsible for looking after children and young people to work in a coordinated and effective way. To celebrate National Care Leavers Week, we are looking for volunteers to be part of a video highlighting the support available to care leavers and estranged student at Cardiff University.

Would you like to help us increase the number of students who have either been in care or are estranged from their family attending University?

We are committed to increasing the number of students studying at Cardiff University who have either been in care or are estranged from their family. To help, we thought young people in care would like to hear from you about the support that helped you to study here and has kept you on course. No pressure at all, but it would be fantastic to have your involvement. You won’t need to go into too much details about your personal circumstances, if you don’t want to.
If you would like to get involved, please get in contact with me.

I’d recommend that you attend the National Care Leavers Week 2015 Lunch Seminar on 21st October 2015

NSPCC Cymru, Barnardo’s Cymru, Fostering Network Wales, Action for Children, Voices from Care Cymru and Children in Wales are working in collaboration at this Lunch Seminar to campaign for improved services for look after children and young people leaving care in Wales with political parties as part of discussions relating to the review of party manifestos. If you would like to have your say before next year’s elections, I would encourage you to attend.

When: October 21st at 12noon

Where: Conference Room C, Tŷ Hywel, Pierhead St, National Assembly For Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA

RSVP: Danielle Cope: Danielle.cope@actionforchildren.org.uk

I’m the key Contact at Cardiff University for care leavers and estranged students

I am still here in the Student Support Centre if you need any assistance throughout your time at Cardiff University.
Einir ESLA15

Here is a list of issues that we are currently assisting students with:

If you have not applied for the Care Leaver Bursary yet, I would strongly recommend that you make contact with me and do so!

These are just some of the issues I can help with. I am based on the 2nd Floor of the Student Support Centre,50 Park Place, Cathays Campus. You can drop-in, send me an e-mail: EnglandE1@cardiff.ac.uk or give me a call: (029) 2087 4787.

Best wishes

Einir, Advice & Money Team

SymbolFull_Col_AM

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.