Preparing for your future

Improve your work and confidence with Academic Study Skills classes

The Academic Study Skills team are here to help all undergraduates get the most out of their time at university, to help to improve your grades and get a Cardiff University Certificate!

skills

When we study at University we are expected to study in ways which may be different to how we have studied previously.  We offer free Academic Study Skills Classes to all undergraduates at two different locations in the University!

What can I expect?

Students across all year groups and disciplines, interacting in a positive environment where you can share good ideas, compare different approaches and take a proactive role in your learning.  These are classes rather than lectures where you will be expected to complete a range of tasks independently, in pairs or in small groups. The sessions tend to focus on problem solving and are student responsive with input and feedback from students being valued.

Here are some of the topics covered:

• Presentation skills
  • Critical reading and thinking
  • Note taking for University
  • What is plagiarism?
  • Essays – how to structure them
  • Feedback – using feedback to feed forward
  • Time Management
  • Revision tips
  • Independent Learning and goal setting
  • Motivation
  • Team work
  • Reflective writing.

A student perspective on the Presentation Skills Class –I thoroughly enjoyed working in a group, as it was an opportunity to meet other students…”

” I was signposted to the Academic and Skills Development Centre through one of my lecturers and after researching the different classes on offer, I decided that presentation skills was the course for me. This course was particularly relevant as my degree involves a substantial number of assessed presentations and I thought that undertaking classes on the subject would help improve my confidence and competence in this area.

There were five sessions in total, each covering a different aspect of presentations and lasted around 50 minutes. The first two sessions “Why &When we Give Presentations” and “How to give a Successful Presentation” involved a variety of group work and discussions as a class. I thoroughly enjoyed working in a group, as it was an opportunity to meet other students from different degree courses and hear different points of view with respect to what is considered a successful presentation.

In the third session “Preparing your Presentation”, we were asked to pick a topic that we would like to present. At the time, an assessed presentation was looming, therefore I decided to use this opportunity to practice my presentation in advance of the assessment.

Micro Presentation week arrived where I presented on the topic of Ebola. I incorporated and used all of the knowledge that I had learnt from previous sessions and this opportunity was invaluable. In addition to gaining experience in presenting, I was able to observe the different presentation styles offered by my colleagues and gain some new knowledge on various subjects ranging from Game of Thrones to circadian rhythms.

The final session involved giving and receiving feedback which I found immensely important, because my feedback highlighted potential areas of improvement. Through this feedback, I was able to adjust my presentation and style of presenting which allowed me to achieve a first in my assessment.

If anyone was considering completing the presentation skills classes offered by the Academic and Skills Development Centre, I would say GO FOR IT! In addition to meeting new people, gaining an invaluable skill and growing in confidence, you even get a certificate. It’s a win-win scenario!”  Emma Baczkowski, Pharmacy Student. 

What classes are available and where?

See the Timetables on the Intranet to see what’s on, when and to make a booking – you will need your username and password.

Classes are offered in two locations; 37 Park Place offers classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 12 noon and 2pm, whilst the Heath offers classes on Wednesday afternoons.

What is expected from me?

The only certificate which is formally assessed is Presentation Skills (where students must give a short presentation). However, all the classes are designed to be interactive and students will be expected to work in small groups to discuss topics and complete exercises.

How do I sign up?

Enrolling for a class is easy. Classes do tend to fill up quickly so make sure you get the class you want by booking today! If you can’t attend a class please email us 24 hours in advance so that we can release your place to a student who is on our waiting list. (Students who fail to attend two classes will be removed from their subsequent bookings so that other students may be given a chance to attend).

A student perspective on Study  Skills Class – ‘What I particularly liked about the classes was that they were very interactive’ …

“I first heard about these classes during a conversation with my dad who really encouraged me to get involved with a lot of extracurricular activities outside my course, and having attended all the academic and presentational skills classes available, I can say they have been brilliant and a great help.

Some of the classes were in Heath campus, which was different for me as I’m usually based in Cathays, but it was good to have lessons in a variety of different settings, although I did get lost a couple of times on the way there!

What I particularly liked about the classes was that they were very interactive. I didn’t just sit there taking notes all session. It was very engaging as I got involved in class discussions and worked with other students in small groups to bring together ideas, which were then put forward to the rest of the class and that helped me to absorb the information. At the end of each session, I was given a handout so I could always go over the information given to me at a later date.

I even managed to do a presentation towards the end of the presentational skills class which was a huge achievement for me, as I sometimes have a shy personality and can get a bit nervous speaking in front of people, but the other students in the class were really friendly and reassuring which helped to boost my confidence.

I would highly recommend these classes to anyone. I’ve made some lifelong friends from attending the sessions, and the skills learnt from them are a huge benefit to me, in which I can continue to use in my future career.” Mavis Loterh, Pharmacy.

What have I got to lose?

Absolutely nothing! The skills you learn from the classes are genuine transferable skills which will directly assist you in your degree and the environment is quite relaxed with students from across all three colleges participating and interacting! It’s a great way to meet students from other disciplines, learn new skills and gain a Cardiff University Certificate.

Also, see the Careers & Employability Fairs and Events for further support.

What’s on listings and updates are shared on social media so stay in touch by following @cardiffcareers on twitter and liking the /cardiffunicareers facebook page.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best wishes
Ann Mc Manus

The Academic Skills and Mentoring Team – Helping you Make the Grade!
Part of
Careers & Employability

Ann Mc Manus  SymbolFull_Col_CE

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.