Advice for living in Cardiff and the UK

How the International Student Support team can help you

Kristina Bowers, International Student Advisor, tells us more about the International Student Support team and how they can help you…


International Student Support is dedicated to the welfare and needs of our International Students. We are happy to be the first port of call and welcome all queries and questions from Cardiff University’s International cohort!


Our friendly front-of-house team

Our staff will listen to all that you bring to us, large or small, and ensure that you find the right person to help.



Our Advisors

Our team of advisors provide professional support and guidance in a number of key areas, including:



An integral part of our service is the provision of comprehensive guidance regarding your Tier 4, PBS dependant, or Short Term Study visa. We provide a preparation and checking service for UK-based applications, ensuring that everything is in line with UKVI requirements before submission. To make use of this service, sign up for one of our weekly Tier 4 extension workshops* and make sure that you are well prepared!


In addition to this, we provide limited advice on work based immigration routes as well as family and indefinite leave to remain applications, supporting our international and EU students in their UK life. For any specialist advice falling outside of our areas of expertise we will help you identify appropriate sources of help.


Do come to see us with any questions or concerns regarding your immigration leave; the earlier we are aware of any issues, the more that we can do to advise and assist!


Changes to Studies

If you are thinking of making any changes to your course of study, please come and talk with us before taking action. We will help you understand the immigration implications of any changes, such as taking an Interruption of Studies, changing your course, or even with withdrawing from the university. Remember that we are here to help you find the best route for you; while we may not always have the answer you want, we will strive to ensure that you have a full understanding of your options.



If you are considering working during your time as a student, you can find information regarding employment regulations for Tier 4 students on our Intranet pages. Come and talk to us with any questions and concerns you have!


If you are due to complete your studies and are considering remaining in the UK, you can also talk to us about the next steps.


Financial and Welfare matters

Struggling with your finances? Accommodation troubles? Have concerns about adjusting to life in the UK? Come and see us! We offer information and guidance on a range of areas that may impact on you during your studies.


In addition to advising on the above, we are the destination for International Students needing their student cards and the place to come if you need to update your registration with the police.

We are based on the 3rd floor of the Students’ Union and offer a daily drop in service between 2-4pm for general enquiries. We have pre-bookable appointments for those larger matters, including at least one on-the-day appointment for emergency cases. We look forward to helping you!



*We currently offer our Tier 4 extension workshop every Wednesday at 11am. You can book your place by dropping into reception, calling 02920 876009, or emailing us on

Visa workshop


Glossary of terms:

  1. Front-of-house – the part of a service/facility that is open to the public. In this case our lovely team who will greet you in reception!
  1. Cornerstone – an important feature or function on which a particular thing depends or is based: the most important part.


Keep up to date with all of our blogs, videos and posts by following us on twitter and facebook.


We look forward to welcoming you at our offices in the Students’ Union!


Best wishes,

Kristina Bowers, International Student Advisor.


Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centrehas a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.


No comments.

Leave a Reply