Preparing for your future, Recruiters, What's On

How I kick-started my career with MotoNovo Finance

Cardiff University graduate Satish Patel tells us about how the Grads Love Cardiff Careers Fair kicked off his career with MotoNovo Finance, and why it’s such a great place for a young, ambitious graduate to work…

Moto

Last year I attended the ‘Grads Love Cardiff’ Careers Fair. Having lived in Cardiff since 2013 I knew I wanted to stay in this great city, but what was I going to do after graduation? This was a question I hadn’t yet answered. During my time at Cardiff university a lot of companies came in and held talks with the business students, discussing the grad schemes they offered and trying to encourage students to apply. I was still undecided.

During the run up to the fair I researched some of the companies that I knew were going to be there, what really stood out to me about MotoNovo Finance was their best company’s award. They’ve now been rated a top 15 company to work for by the Sunday Times, 3 years in a row, which is an amazing achievement. Knowing this I made a conscious effort to find them at the fair and once I had spoken to the team, learned about the culture of the company and the benefits of working for MotoNovo, I decided to apply for and attend their recruitment event.

It’s been a while now, but there were various roles available with MotoNovo which were mentioned during the recruitment event. Compared to other interviews I had attended the MotoNovo recruitment event was far more enjoyable. Immediately, the team put me at ease and it was great they weren’t expecting applicants to have years’ worth of experience or education directly related to a specific role. They wanted people who were passionate about a career with the company and the day was really used to meet people, who may otherwise not be able to get their foot in door and assess their abilities first hand.

Having gone through the literacy, mathematics and competency tests on the day I was later invited to interview for a completely different role, to me this just demonstrates how the recruitment team match skill sets to jobs and think about how individuals can benefit the wider company. Knowing after the recruitment event they saw potential in me was incredible and having successfully completed the interview I was able to kick-start my career with a nationally recognised company.

When I visited MotoNovo they told me they saw their employees as individuals and they invest in their progression. I can already tell you this is very true; I started in July and I have already been sent on a SAS Programming course and next month I’ll be doing a SAS Macro course, to further my knowledge and career prospects; everyone in my team has been really supportive, and I was recently asked to be part of a project team due to my degree in Economics and the knowledge I can contribute.

Why am I telling you all this?

MotoNovo Finance is creating more than 150 new roles this year alone across the company and we want more Cardiff University students to apply. For me the benefits package MotoNovo offer is excellent and while I’m not currently thinking actively about my pension, it’s great to know that it’s taken care of. Private healthcare is another great benefit, as is job security; with the current economic climate there’s a lot of uncertainty surrounding jobs and knowing we are still growing and investing in people is really reassuring.

Also, employees receive a MotorV8 card which is a great added bonus. Knowing that every individual within the company gets rewarded when the business reaches key milestones or has a reason to celebrate, really makes you feel appreciated and I don’t know another company that offers anything like it on top of a regular bonus scheme.

For me being part of Team MotoNovo, I feel like an integral part of a community and I am excited about the opportunities this company offers me for my future.

MotoNovo will be at Cardiff University on Thursday 30th March, come by and meet the team!

careers blog 2

Stay in touch

All the latest news and events leading up to and during the events are available on Careers and Employability’s facebook and twitter feeds. Please join us in sharing these events and information with your fellow students.

Related blogs: Thinking about or planning to stay in Cardiff after graduation?

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and  if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best Wishes,
Satish Patel
Cardiff University Graduate 2016, BSc Economics, current Credit Risk Analyst for MotoNovo Finance

Satish Patel

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet