Enterprise, More

Getting The Word Out

Caspar, our Enterprise Intern, lets us know how your business can start making a noise even before you’ve started making money…

I’m loving my new role as the Marketing Intern for Enterprise because it encapsulates my two favourite things: social media and being the centre of attention. But I must say it’s been a steep learning curve. I had imagined the hardest part of getting students involved in Enterprise events would be writing the messages, not finding out where it would be best to share them. Luckily for me, Enterprise has a cohort of students with an insatiable determination for success and without their dedication, it would look like I’m not doing my job properly.

I’m beginning to understand how tough it is to make a noise in what seems like a festival of information, so I can’t imagine how tough it is for our students. Imposing your messages without an established following feels like screaming into the void sometimes; I don’t envy our Enterprising students who have to face this hurdle when they’ve got a business to start. To alleviate some worries, here’s a quick list of things you can do to get the word out about your business while saving some money for the Christmas holidays.

Take to the streets

Identifying opportunities to be able to convince your market face-to-face is essential to getting exposure. Posts on social media can often feel like you’re throwing mud at a wall, hoping that something will stick. Being able to communicate with your market personally makes the enthusiasm you have contagious and people don’t forget what it was that put a smile on their face. My first suggestion would be to get a stall at the Enterprise Christmas Market on December 6th. Start viewing events like this as an opportunity for market research: who’s interested? What didn’t they like? How’s my pitch? You might even make your first sale!

Workshop ‘til you drop

When it comes to getting the word out about your idea, I recommend attending our Networking sessions to pick up an essential tool for the proactive entrepreneur. Knowing how to sell yourself and your idea succinctly, confidently and memorably is an invaluable skill – in every room, there’s always somebody who knows somebody that wants what you’ve got. As for making moves online, our Creating Your Website sessions will guide you through giving yourself your own little corner of the internet. Having an online identity means a space to develop your brand’s look and you can drive traffic towards it with Google AdWords. Don’t forget to include a blog as a personal touch!

Get the strategy right

I was having a hard time getting students involved in Enterprise events only using social media. My colleague asked if I was ever not rushing around at 9am when I was a student. I told her I was never awake at 9am, but the point was the same: students weren’t seeing my posts in the morning. One of our guest speakers had a similar problem engaging parents with young children. Her posts during the school run weren’t being seen, but her post at 3am when mothers have nothing better to do than flick through their phone until their child falls asleep was a winner. Think about your market and what their routines are like. The message might be perfect but it’s the delivery that needs work. The structure of Facebook’s timeline means that posts with pictures are twice as likely to be seen, and posts with videos are three times as likely, so make sure you know when your market is online. Do your research and hit the targets when they stop moving.

Do you have gifts, crafts, jewellery or edibles to sell at our Christmas Market? Contact entreprise@cardiff.ac.uk to book your stall!
Make sure you check our Spring Semester schedule when it’s released in January to find out when you can sign up to Enterprise workshops and industry talks.

Inspired? Get involved with Cardiff University Enterprise and Start-up!

Do you have entrepreneurial inspirations and aspirations? Cardiff University Enterprise and Start-up could help you realise your full potential in business and entrepreneurship. It’s all about thinking creatively, spotting opportunities, making things happen and developing skills for life. It’s not just about business; it’s about helping you to make the most of yourself.

We run workshops, competitions and sessions to help you develop skills and knowledge. Find out about all our courses and sessions on the intranet, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, with #ideastolife, or email us at entreprise@cardiff.ac.uk.

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and  if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best wishes,

Caspar Jayasekera, Enterprise Marketing Intern.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.