Careers Advice, More, Preparing for your future, Recruiters, Student Stories, Work Experience

“From Computer Science student to my first graduate job”: How Careers and Employability helped me launch my career with Circle IT

Imogen, Computer Science graduate, shares her experience of using the careers service to her find her first graduate role at Circle IT

What did you study at Cardiff University? 

BSc Computer Science (2014 – 2017)

What is you current role at Circle IT? How did you find out about the company? 

Graduate Internal Sales Representative

I found out about Circle IT through a careers fishbowl event run by Catherine Teehan for my academic school; employers and students were there to discuss all sorts of views and expectations around technology in a professional setting, graduate roles, job applications etc.

Why did you decide to apply for a role there?

I chose Circle IT for many reasons; firstly, Circle IT actively support CPD for employees which was important to me as I wanted to continue to expand my knowledge and skill set after graduating. Secondly, emerging from university I felt lost; what did I want to do? Where did I want to go? Circle IT provided a varied job role which meant I would experience new things and hopefully narrow down where I want to progress in my career. Finally, the atmosphere here at Circle IT is so laid back and friendly; I can challenge things, be inquisitive and, most importantly, have fun.

How did Cardiff University Careers and Employability help you in your job search? 

I visited our school’s careers advisor Gaye many times during my degree. She was fantastic! Nothing was too small or big; a CV check or planning a whole application, she helped me get this job and a summer placement in China with Huawei which was one of the best experience of my life.

I also attended a few career workshops run within the university which helped me survive an assessment centre… (or four!)

How are you settling in? 

Better than I thought! Although I worked during my degree, I was worried about adjusting to full time work and doing the job well. I needn’t have worried though, everyone is so helpful and there are no ‘stupid questions’, so I settled in really quickly.

What are your top tips for other students when job hunting?

Words I live by – “Don’t Try, Don’t Get, Don’t Fret”

I spent so much time doubting myself when looking for jobs, thinking “I’m not good enough” or “there will be better people, what’s the point in applying?” but it didn’t get me anywhere; I still had no job. I hadn’t learnt anything.

When you start to look and apply for jobs, just go for it! I don’t mean send out hundreds of generic applications, but choose a few jobs that you’re passionate about and give you good prospects; spend time on those applications, and worst case if you’re not successful, find out why, learn from it and improve. (It’s what you’ve been doing in your degree anyway!)

Remember – Circle IT will be on campus to deliver a Masterclass on Video and Interview Techniques on Thursday 16th November, from 12:10 – 13:00. You can book this online here.

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the bar below, and note any questions there too.

To help us aid more of your fellow students please re-tweet or share this post by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best wishes,

Imogen, Graduate Internal Sales Representative at Circle IT and Cardiff University graduate (2017). 

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and Wellbeing, Disability and Dyslexia and International Student Support. The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.