Managing your money

Did you know you need to reapply for funding every year?

Are you in your first, second or penultimate year of study?  Do you get student funding now?  Would you like it again next year?  Did you know that you need to reapply for funding each academic year?  The Advice & Money Team tells us more …


In the talks we, the Advice & Money Team, give to Cardiff University applicants and their parents, on average, 53% of them don’t know that you need to reapply for funding each year of your course. The good news is that the process is simpler and more-streamlined after the first year. If you want to get an idea of the funding you may receive, you need to go to your funding body’s webpages* and look for information on funding as a ‘Continuing Student’ – the term Continuing is used, to differentiate you from a New Applicant.


If you are funded by Student Finance Wales or Student Finance England

You will shortly get an e-mail advising you to reapply for funding for next academic year online. Remember that you reapply to the funding body that funded you last academic year. Please reapply in time so that your funding will pay you in time next academic year.

Most applicants will apply online, but if you do complete a paper form, make sure it’s the right one. For continuing students from England or Wales, the form is a PR1 (R for returning), as opposed to a PN1 which is for New Applicants (You can remember N for new). For either online or paper forms, you will need your Customer Reference Number to hand.

You can actually apply for funding up to 9 months in to each year of your course, but the spring deadlines mean that your funding should be in place for when you return in September. This is particularly important if you are means-tested, which means you or your parents’ household income needs to be assessed.

It’s important that your funding body has up to date contact details for you, so if you have moved or your family has moved, or if you have changed mobile or email address, it would be wise to give them a ring to make sure they update their systems.


If you are funded by Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland

You will be contacted automatically via email with a reminder to re-apply.

If you have not heard anything by the end of March, it may be worth getting in touch with your funding body.


If you are funded as an EU student

You will be sent a form to your home address to reapply for Tuition Fee support. This is a much shorter form than you had to complete for your first year. If you haven’t heard from them by June 2016, you can download the form from Student Finance Wales website.


If you are funded by the NHS

If you are a continuing NHS funded student, or a Medicine or Dental Surgery student going into the 5th Year of your course in 2016/17, you will get a reminder about applying for funding for the next year of your course.  This should include advice about how to apply and whether this should be done online or via a paper application.  If you are a Medicine or Dental Surgery student and you lived in Wales prior to the course you apply via NHS SAS (Wales) or if you lived in England prior to your course you apply via NHS Business Services Authority (England).  All other healthcare students apply via NHS SAS (Wales)


And finally…’s not too late to apply for funding for 2015/16!

If you are a current student and have chosen not to apply for either the Tuition Fee Loan or Grants (where applicable) or Maintenance Loan and Grant, it’s not too late to apply for this current year, 2015/16. You have 9 months from the start of your course to put in an application, which means you can apply until 31st May 2016! This also includes EU students, who are entitled to Tuition Fee support in the form of a loan and grant.

As ever, if you would like any advice about funding, welfare or academic issues, come and see the Advice and Money Team at the Student Support Centres at both Park Place and the Heath campus.


Best wishes
Advice and Money Team

advice & money

Your Student Life, Supported.

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet


No comments.

Leave a Reply