Managing your money

Dedicated contact for Care Leavers and Estranged students at Cardiff University

Einir Evans the Key Contact for Care Leavers and Estranged Students welcomes you …


I am the dedicated contact for Care Leavers and Estranged students at Cardiff University. I am based in the Advice & Money Team within the Student Support Centre. If you disclosed that you were a care leaver on your UCAS application, then you most probably have heard from me a few times by now. If you didn’t disclose, or if you are estranged and haven’t had the opportunity to disclose, please do contact with me, my e-mail address is or my phone number is 029 2087 4787. I am based on the 2nd floor of the Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place, The Student High Street. 

I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome all new students and to say welcome back continuing students!

My role within the university is very unique as I am the dedicated first point of contact for any student who has been estranged from their families. This could mean that you have been officially through the care system, or if the estrangement happened later in your teens, you might not have had any dealings with Social Service.

Some of things I can help with are: 

  • Support with applying for student funding, including making an application and liaising with your funding body if there are any problems.
  • Assist you in managing your money while at university;
  • Support with academic related issues including liaising with your academic department / course tutors.
  • Assist with any housing issues: finding accommodation, problems with landlords etc.
  • Sign-posting towards other Cardiff University services
  • Applying for additional sources of funding such as the Financial Contingency Fund and charitable trusts.
  • Or simply just someone to talk to if you need to.

Just a quick reminder about the Care Leaver Bursary:

If you have applied for the Care Leaver Bursary, then I have tried to get in contact with you to let you know if your cheque is ready. I have managed to get hold of most of you, but if I left a message for you, could you please get in contact to make arrangements to come in and collect the cheque. For those of you who haven’t applied for the bursary, I would encourage you to do so. This is a reminder of the eligibility criteria:

You must be a Full-time Undergraduate student, started your course in September 2012 or later and be eligible to receive funding as a “home” student. You also must have a recent history of being in care or estranged:


· having been in Care for  6 months from the age of 14 or

· having been in Care for 3 months from the age of 16 or

· have been irreconcilably estranged from my parents or guardians between the age of16 and leaving school or FE College (These will be considered on a case by case basis)


· have been in care/estranged in the last 10 years

The value of the award is £3,000 and is usually paid: £1,000 in the first year, £750 in each subsequent academic years and an additional £500 in the final term of your degree, if you are on a 3 year course. All you need to do is complete the application form on our website and include evidence of your care leaving/ estrangement status: (

If you want any further information please contact with me: E-mail: Telephone: 029 2087 4787.

Best wishes

 Contact the Advice & Money Team for further information and support.



No comments.

Leave a Reply