Being at university during the Christmas holiday can be hard so Counselling, Health and Wellbeing have created a series of blog posts to help you get rid of your winter blues and make the festive season a time of fun, relaxation and good memories …
Part 4 – Events in Cardiff
Being away from family and friends over the Christmas break can be lonely. We have compiled a list of events and attractions going on around Cardiff to keep you busy this holiday. We know that the student budget may be a little tight at this time of year so we have kept all listings as cheap as possible.
- Cardiff Winter Wonderland Festive treat is set on City Hall Lawn with a backdrop of Cardiff’s iconic Civic Centre. With 7 over weeks of skating on offer from 13 Nov to 5 Jan 2015 this is a must do Christmas experience! NUS cardholders can skate for £7.50 or adult tickets are £9. Entrance to the Wonderland is free.
- Step into Christmas Cardiff’s innovative christmas street festival, see the city’s festive lights twinkle to life and enjoy a cornucopia of Christmas entertainment, featuring over 90 fun and festive performances in various locations throughout the city centre.
- Christmas at Cardiff Castle Festive events including wreath making classes and night-time tours.
- Russian Ballet Festival St David’s Hall has the festive season all tied up with three magical ballets from one of the world’s leading ballet companies, the Russian State Ballet & Orchestra of Siberia – the perfect Christmas treat!
- Cinderella Pantomime This year’s fun-filled show is Cinderella starring Lee Mead as the Prince, Linda Lusardi as the Fairy Godmother, Mike Doyle and Sam Kane as the Ugly Sisters, Andy Jones plays Buttons and rugby legend Gareth Thomas is Dandini. Packed with comedy, music, fairytale adventure, stunning sets and fabulous costumes, Cinderella is an unmissable festive treat for all ages. Tickets start from £10.50 for the upper circle – come along for a laugh!
- Christmas in the Bay There’s plenty to see and do on the waterfront this winter… enjoy a show, shop for gifts or take a scenic boat ride. For all the Bay has to offer this festive season at www.visitcardiffbay.info
- Callenig Welcome in the New Year with Cardiff’s Calennig Midnight celebrations. Enjoy the magic of Cardiff’s Winter Wonderland, party to the live DJ in the Civic Centre and soak up the atmosphere as a spectacular firework finale brings in 2015.
- Disney’s The Lion King, Millennium Centre – This worldwide theatrical phenomenon runs until 11th January. With stunning costumes, wonderful music and a plot that’s beloved the world over, this is definitely one not to miss.
- Explore Cardiff – There are lots of exciting places in and around Cardiff – now that the Christmas rush has died down, why not take this opportunity to visit some of them? Consider the National Museum Cardiff or St Fagan’s National History Museum to get a taste of Wales throughout history, or the Wales Millenium Centre to soak up some local culture.
For advice and support this winter please don’t hesitate to contact us Counselling, Health & Wellbeing Team.
Sarah & Will, Student Interns
Your Student Life, Supported
Counselling, Health & Wellbeing
The Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place, Student High Street