Managing your money

Celebrating National Care Leavers Week, 23rd – 31st October

Einir from the Advice & Money Team updates you on National Career Leavers Week and how Cardiff University is joining in the week’s activities …

8874

Between the 23rd – 31st October 2014, charities and different organisations around the UK will be celebrating National Care Leavers Week. This week is about highlighting the needs of
care leavers and encouraging the agencies responsible for looking after children and young people to work in a coordinated and effective way.

As part of National Care Leavers Week, Cardiff University is hosting an event on Friday 24th October, titled Belonging – A Conversation, in partnership with Voices from Care Cymru and Cascade. The event will be held in the Glamorgan Building, 12.00-4.00, with free lunch.

The event is an opportunity to explore partnerships between leaving care services and the Assembly Government with an emphasis on learning from research and evidence based good practice. Focusing on the theme of ‘New Belongings’, speakers from the University of Exeter, the Care Council for Wales and Voices from Care will start the event, followed by roundtable discussion about the ways we can enable care leavers to achieve community belonging in the long-term.

There are limited places available but I would encourage you to attend and share your opinions! If you would like to attend, you have to book a place asap by e-mailing CASCADE@cardiff.ac.uk

Key Contact for care leavers and estranged students

A reminder also that I am still here in the Student Support Centre if you need any assistance throughout your time at Cardiff University. Here is a list of issues that we are currently assisting students with:

• Late Funding
  • Check students are receiving all the financial support they are entitled to (including from the Local Authority)
  • Budgeting
  • Problems with accommodation
  • Unhappy with course (you might find our blog post Is it okay to talk about withdrawal from University?useful)
  • Thinking of taking time out of your course
  • What funding is available to do a placement year/ year abroad

This is just some of the issues I can help with. I am based on the 2nd Floor of the Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place, the Student High Street. You can drop-in, send me an e-mail: EvansE23@cardiff.ac.uk or give me a call: 029 2087 4787. Further information about the above issues can also be found on our website: www.cardiff.ac.uk/advice

If you have not applied for the Care Leaver Bursary yet, I would strongly recommend that you make contact with me and do so!

Best wishes
Einir

Einir1

Contact the Advice & Money Team for further information and support.

• Tegan Morgan

Cardiff University’s care leavers programme is amazing. Staff are friendly , supportive and always there.I’d be lost without them.

• Katrina Taylor

Thank you for the comment Tegan, it’s always lovely to receive positive feedback.

If you would like to write a blog post about your experience and any advice you can offer other Cardiff students then I’m sure that would eb well received too. If you do, and no worries if not, please email me taylork8@cardiff.ac.uk

Best regards
      Katrina.
      Marketing Manager