Managing your money

Are you eligible for a student bursary?

Ben from our Advice & Money Team tells us more about bursaries and how you get them … 

bursary

Now’s the time to be thinking about bursaries, you may remember that last year you had a bursary from Uni, or maybe you read about it before you started. Here’s more information on eligibility and what’s involved;

This information is intended for students who are funded through the Student Loans Company (Student Finance Wales, Student Finance England etc.).

Am I eligible?

Cardiff University offers bursaries to eligible students who have started their full time UK undergraduate course after 2006. Eligible students must be in attendance on the payment dates to receive a bursary.

As with many things eligibility and the amount you receive depends on various criteria, such as the year you started and household income. Full details can be found here on the intranet.

Please be aware that overseas students, EU students, NHS bursary holders, Postgraduate students, 2011 Welsh students (as paid through Welsh government student funding) are not eligible for these awards.

The most important thing about bursaries is that you don’t have to do very much at all, check out the 4 questions below: –

1. Are you funded through the Student Loans Company?

Bursaries are assessed automatically from your Student Finance information – the forms you filled in to get your loan and grant. There are no extra forms to fill in and send to us, no emails to send – it all happens through that website and you will be notified if you are eligible for a bursary.

2.   Have you had a letter? Check your post

Throughout November students eligible for a bursary will be contacted by letter – so if your mate gets a letter but you don’t – don’t panic – yours may just be in a later batch.

You can find a copy of your letter on your student finance account under correspondence.

One of the most common reasons you may be missed out is the system not being able to see your household income. This happens when your parents/guardians/partner or you don’t consent to share information when filling out your application forms. So when you’re checking your online portal – make sure this is done. If it isn’t, anyone who filled in bits of your form (this means mum AND dad individually) will have to contact Student Finance and give consent to share their financial information with the university. Make sure they both do it – it’s no good just one trying to give consent for the other – Student Finance won’t change it and you’ll end up bursary-less!

3. No letter but think you’re eligible? Let us know

If November passes you by and no letter arrives but you think you should be eligible. Hold tight until December – letters are coming.

We try to pay all eligible students their bursaries so if you have not received a bursary and you think you are entitled to one drop us an email with your student number; or if you have any other questions please contact the Advice & Money Team:

Email:bursariesandscholarships@cardiff.ac.uk

Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 9320
Call in and see us: 50 Park Place

4. Had your letter and all ok? You’ll soon receive your bursary

Your letter will contain details of how much you will receive.

The bursary is paid in two halves – half paid 29th January 2016 and the other half paid 11th March 2016.

Your payments will be made to the same account as your loan and grant – so if you get them, you should get these.

Follow us on twitter and/or like us on Facebook for future news and event updates.

Best wishes

Ben, Advice & Money Team

SymbolFull_Col_AM

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.

• site official

Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but
    after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back
    frequently!

• moved here

excellent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t
    realize this. You should continue your writing. I am sure,
    you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

• official site

For most up-to-date news you have to pay a visit world wide web and on web I found this web page as a
    finest web site for hottest updates.

• twitter

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to create a top notch article… but what can I say… I hesitate a
    lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.

• image source

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity for your
    submit is simply great and that i could think you are knowledgeable on this subject.
    Well along with your permission allow me to grab
    your feed to stay up to date with imminent post. Thanks one million and please continue
    the enjoyable work.

• site web

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to create a very
    good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never
    manage to get anything done.

• visit website

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after going through many of the posts I
    realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and
    checking back often!