2,900 students who’ve used Advice and Money were asked for feedback, 306 had their say, Tania from our Advice and Money team tells us more…
Our team offers a great range of services designed to support students. We genuinely appreciate and value student feedback as it helps us to ensure that we continue to enhance our services to best help students throughout their student life.
We need student feedback
If you are anything like me I get asked several times a week to fill in a survey or customer questionnaire of some sort. I have to admit, I often ignore or delete them, however my attitude towards these questionnaires has changed since I have taken over responsibility for our Advice and Money team student survey, I can now see the value in them and know that students views have a direct impact on how we plan for the future and changes in the delivery of our services.
Our surveys are the only way we can truly gauge how we are working with our students. Yes, we occasionally get thank you cards or emails, and sometimes even the odd box of chocolates (Cadburys are my favourite!) but they don’t give a true picture of the overall satisfaction after using our service, or the long-term usefulness of our help and advice.
So, what did you tell us during 2015-16?
- A total of 306 students responded to the survey throughout the year. This was from a total of 2900 students whom we sent the questionnaire to. This represents a 10.5% response rate.
- The survey was split into two parts – one for students who have made contact with us for the Financial Assistance Programme Award (FAPA), which is our hardship fund, and one for those who have used the Advisory part of our service. Typically our Advisory students are seeking information about Student Finance England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland/EU funding, have tuition fee questions, want to make academic changes and so on.
The main way Advice and Money helped you
A whopping 96% of students who completed the survey said they would recommend the service to a friend. This is the highest praise we can hope for!
Students applying to the Financial Assistance Programme Award (hardship fund)
Students applying to this fund fill in an application form, either paper or online. We try to make this as short as possible and we were encouraged that 59% said it was ‘very easy’ to fill in, and 28% said ‘quite easy’.
We sometimes give budgeting advice, and 60% of students surveyed felt the quality of this advice, given by the FAPA team, was ‘very good’ and 20% ‘quite good’.
In relation to the time it took for us to process their FAPA form and make any award to the student, 78% felt the process was ‘very good’ and 14% ‘quite good’.
Students who used the Advisory side of our service
We are delighted to say that the vast majority of our students felt when they came in to see us, we were approachable.
91% of students rated the friendliness and approachability of their adviser as ‘excellent’, with a further 8% rating them as ‘good’. That’s what we like to hear!
We also asked students who visited, rang or emailed the advisory service, how useful the advice given had been to them. On average, 75% of students rated it as ‘excellent’ and 16% as ‘good’.
You said…so we’re going to…
- Interactive budgeting – When we asked students if they would use an interactive budgeting tool, 68% responded that they would. This is something we will be exploring, as a service.
- Making the FAPA form even easier – You asked us to make the form easier to fill out. So for 2016-17, that’s exactly what we did. We streamlined the form, and made a clearer, easier to read list of evidence you need to submit with your form.
- More face to face contact time – You asked us to have more of this, especially at the Heath Park Campus. There is now an adviser available there 4 days of the week, in the Student Support Centre, Cardigan House.
So a massive thank you if you did fill in one of our student questionnaires, following a visit to the Advice and Money Team during 2015-16. And please do keep responding to our survey requests– we do look at the information and we do use it to monitor and improve our service to you, our students.
Come and see us
Our Team are available to talk through any questions you may have. Please drop in at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus or Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus or contact us: Telephone: 02920 874528 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your feedback and help please
Have you found this blog post useful? Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.
We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.
Tania, Advice & Money Team
Your Student Life, Supported.
The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including:Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.
For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.