Preparing for your future, Recruiters, Student Stories, Work Experience

A Summer Internship with Grant Thornton

Max, 3rd year Accounting and Finance student and Campus Community Manager for Grant Thornton tells us more about his Summer Internship …

M

As a second year student I decided I should probably start looking at getting some work experience. I’d heard of Grant Thornton through my lecturers as some of them had worked there before, so I decided to apply. I was lucky to be successful and find myself with a summer internship with Grant Thornton in London.

The friendliness of the Grant Thornton team instantly shone through
On my first day, I found out I was going to be sent up north, to work on the Sports Direct audit at their headquarters near Sheffield. The thought of working on a FTSE 100 client, amongst a big audit team, was something which at first seemed a bit daunting. However, the friendliness of all of the members of the Grant Thornton team instantly shone through and I very quickly felt at home. I spent four weeks up there, doing all sorts of different jobs to help the audit, and never once felt like I was actually an intern. I would also even describe life as an accountant as quite fun!

The experience I gained while on my internship made a real difference to me, and I now have a graduate job

On the second month of my internship, I worked on clients in central London. I also found myself very busy going to social events in the evenings – networking events, intern parties etc…

Very importantly and very happily for me, the experience I gained while on my internship made the difference, and I now have a graduate job with Grant Thornton confirmed for when I finish my studies. This means, off the record, I can have a really easy last year and spend most of it enjoying myself. On the record, I can put lots of extra effort into my uni work. Either way, if you’d like to find yourself in this position, with a firm that is great to work for and that will really look after you, I couldn’t recommend applying for an internship with Grant Thornton any more. If you would like to ask any questions, or to get any advice on applications, just send me an email.

My role as a Campus Community Manager for Grant Thornton at Cardiff

I am here to support anyone who would like to know more about Grant Thornton or who would like any help with an existing/potential application to them. This could be first or second years applying for an internship or third years applying for a full time graduate role. I can meet with interested students individually and provide insight into the firm as well as some application advice. Feel free to emila me: WilliamsM62@cardiff.ac.uk

Fancy an internship or graduate job with Grant Thornton?
More information about Grant Thornton can be found on their website or by contacting me on the email given. Also we will have a stall at the Finance and Banking fair on Tuesday so come and say hello.

Do I really need to be thinking about Careers yet?
Whatever year you are in or stage you are at with your career planning I recommend you visit Careers & Employability:

1. Careers & Employability offer  friendly advice, information and guidance – drop in at the Student Support Centre,  50 Park Place,  Student High Street, Cathays Campus
  2. Watch Chris’s Careers video for some easy to follow tips
  3. Attend Careers & Employability Fairs and Events
  4.  Stay in touch by following @cardiffcareers on twitter and liking the /cardiffunicareers facebook page

Best wishes

Max Williams, Campus Community Manager for Grant Thornton at Cardiff 

On behalf of Careers & Employability Team

SymbolFull_Col_CE

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice & Money, Careers & Employability, Counselling, Health & Wellbeing, Disability & Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.