Health and Wellbeing

USAFE’s Cuppa with a Copper

Your local community policy officer is holding a drop-in session to provide students with advice, support and information! Our student intern Sophie finds out more…

Fancy a cuppa with a copper? Beginning the 24th October, we’re inviting students to drop in and meet their officers! USAFE sessions will run on a drop in basis from 5pm till 6.30pm in the Student Support Centre on 50 Park Place. This is a great opportunity for you to chat to your local community police officer and get advice on keeping yourself safe in Cardiff.

I met up with Will ahead of the event, to get to know him and see what he hopes to gain from the event. He told me:

‘I’ve worked in the police for 10 years now. Growing up I always wanted to help people. I’m lucky to have my dream job within the force, a police community support officer – you get to go out and about on the streets and interact with people. I hope that students who face issues, big or small, feel comfortable to come and chat to me. This event is an informal opportunity to raise your concerns and get some support.’

Many people only come into contact with the police when they are in a crisis – which is not an ideal circumstance. The police are here to protect you and it helps to build a healthy relationship with your police community support officer. Please feel comfortable to raise your concerns with your officer! If you have any concerns including:

Should I report …?

What will happen if I report …?

Who is keeping my neighbourhood safe …?

Please note: The officers present will have a responsibility to act on the knowledge of illegal behaviour, even hypothetically, so please act appropriately. If you are worried about your safety or that of a friend, it might be necessary for the police to take actions to protect you.

We hope to see you there!

For more information, connect with The South Wales Police on Twitter: @SWPstudents

Look after your personal safety

Check out my guide to personal safety for Cardiff students to make sure you and your friends are taking all the necessary precautions to stay safe!

Your feedback and help please

Have you found this blog post useful?  Please help us by commenting in the comments bar below, and  if there is anything further you’d like to know ask your questions there too.

We’d also be grateful if you can share this information by re-tweeting or sharing with your fellow students who may find this useful – you can do this by using the share buttons or via twitter and facebook.

Best wishes,

Sophie, Student Intern.

10169438_10203867942278260_2837167837685484005_n

The Student Support Centre has a range of services dedicated to helping students make the most of their time at University, including: Advice and MoneyCareers and EmployabilityCounselling, Health and WellbeingDisability and Dyslexia and International Student Support.

The Student Support Centres are located at 50 Park Place, Cathays Campus and Cardigan House, Heath Park Campus.

For further details of services, events, opening times and more find us on the University Intranet.