Project Blog Year 1 and 2

Curriculum, cultures, communication and clusters: reflections from the Programme Meeting May 2009

Okay, I’ll admit it – I do like a bit of alliteration; but the above does neatly summarise the main themes discussed at the Curriculum Design Programme Meeting.  Apart from the opportunity to share ideas, issues, and intelligence (there I go again!) with colleagues and other project teams, this was a useful meeting that allowed staff from all of the projects to explore different change management models, and consider how these relate to the varied and complex organisational cultures in which we work.  It also re-emphasised to me the need for ongoing dialogue and consultation, as well as the active involvement of the varied stakeholders in the PALET project.  The challenges this presents should not be underestimated, but we can draw on the experiences and examples provided by others.

In particular, the CABLE project at the University of Hertfordshire, offered a model of stakeholder engagement that will be worth a further look.  The ‘negative brainstorming’ technique we explored may also be a useful technique to employ.  I think my main concern in seeking to instigate a model of participatory design is the danger of ‘scope creep’, as additional needs get identified by different disciplines to meet their individual needs.  The scope of the PALET project is already quite wide, and the need to ensure that links are maintained with related initiatives makes this a complex challenge, but one I am sure we will enjoy.

Comments and feedback, as ever, are always welcome.  In the meantime, some video clips from the event are below.

Andy

An interesting baseline data measurement…: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWWT7UGV7w

Stakeholder Engagement – Who really matters?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xk-8Ta-DGc

• Harriet

Yes, we very much enjoyed the presentation about the CABLE project, and may well adopt the ‘negative brainstorming’ approach.
    I also heard last night about a technique of holding alternating ‘positive meetings’, where all comments on a project have to focus on opportunities, ways to make it work, etc, and ‘negative meetings’, where all comments have to focus on the threats to the project.