Getting to know

MAGMA Xmas Blog

17 December 2020

The MAGMA labs are closing December 18th and the team will be having a break over the Xmas period so this will be the last one for the year. As it’s the season we decided to do something slightly different this week and the team are going to share some of their favourite Xmas things. Have a merry Xmas and a happy new year. Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda. See you in 2021.

Dr Phil Anderson

Favourite Xmas Song: Santa Claus is coming to town – Bruce Springsteen

Favourite Xmas Film: Trading Places

Favourite Xmas TV Episode: 1971 Morecombe and Wise Christmas Special with Andrew ‘Previn.’ I am not quite old enough to remember it the first time but it is repeated annually.

Paul Mallett

Favourite Xmas Song: Hark the herald angels sing

Favourite Xmas Film: Love Actually

Favourite TV Episode: American Dad – Season’s Beatings

Memorable Present: 30cm Sauron Figurine (from Lord of the Rings)

Debbie Thacker

Favourite Xmas Song: Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin’ Stevens

Favourite Xmas Film: Muppet Christmas Carol

Favourite TV Episode: Vicar of Dibley ‘The Christmas Lunch Incident’

Funny Present: My friend, knowing my love for Jaffa cakes, made me a Jaffa cake tower that was as tall as me. She explained it was a challenging task …. but at least she only had to make it to 5 ft and not an average person size!

Alex Washbourne

Favourite Xmas Song: Rage Against the Machine – Killing in the name – 2009 Xmas number one; Why? First time number one that wasn’t X factor winner – Joe Mceldery)

Favourite Xmas Film: Home Alone; Why? The skeleton electric shock scene makes me laugh out loud every time.

Favourite TV Episode: The US Office Season 7, Episodes 11-12, Classy Christmas Pt 1-2. Why ? The ultimate Jim Vs Dwight showdown using snowballs, this episode is best summarised by Dwight’s final quote: ‘In the end the greatest snowball isn’t a snowball at all… its fear. Merry Christmas.’

Funny Present: Coat hanger set. Why ? The funny part was 1) I didn’t need any more coat hangars and 2) they were wrapped and everything!!!

Kevin Jones

Favourite Xmas Song: Rage Against the Machine – Killing in the name. What a bright shiny moment this was and I got to see them for free the following summer because of this.

Favourite Xmas Film: Muppet Christmas Carol. Watch it with my wife and son every year.

Favourite Xmas TV episode: Invader Zim ‘The Most Horrible Xmas Ever’

Funny Present: My aunt buying my dad a hair grooming kit one Xmas. My dad is as folically challenged as I am.

James Manley

Favourite Xmas Song: Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade

Favourite Xmas Film: Die Hard

Favourite Xmas TV episode: Father Ted ‘A Christmassy Ted’

Kyriaki Gkaliou

Favourite Xmas Song: All I want for Christmas is you – Mariah Carey

Favourite Xmas Film: Love Actually

Favourite Xmas TV episode: Friends (the Christmas episode at all seasons 😁)

Memorable Present: My mum managed to find a ”fake” Santa Claus to come and bring my present! I was 8 years old and I still remembered my excitement when I saw Santa Claus in my home 😁