2016, the 4th LinC summer school and workshop.
The goal of the summer school is to offer training and scholarship in both understanding the Systemic Functional Linguistic (SFL) theory of language and applying it to real-world challenges.
Our 2016 team of instructors includes:
- Chris Taylor, Università di Trieste
- Gerard O’Grady, Cardiff University
- Gordon Tucker, Cardiff University
- Jorge Arus Hita, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Lise Fontaine, Cardiff University
- Mick O’Donnell, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Miriam Taverniers, Ghent University
- Mohamed Bardi, Macquarie University
- Robin Fawcett, Cardiff University
- Stella Neumann, RWTH Aachen University
- Tom Bartlett, Cardiff University
- William McGregor, Universität Trier
As in previous years, the summer school offers two parallel courses (participants choose one or the other), as listed below. Please click on the link to view the course description.
- Introduction to Systemic Functional Linguistics – course description
- SFL and Languages other than English – course desription
The topics covered in the SFL and Languages other than English course include the following (see descriptions in the link above) and those attending the second course will be able to choose from among these options:
- Issues in Translation
- Audio Description – Textual access for the sensorially disabled
- Post-Firthian perspectives on linguistic typology
- Verb patterns in a typological perspective
- Analysing Arabic Text: Potential and Challenges
- Modelling lexis and phraseology in English, French and Italian in a Systemic Functional Grammar
- Metafunctional journey through Spanish
- Using UAM CorpusTool for annotation of languages other than English
- Writing a systemic functional grammar for Japanese
Call for Poster Presentations
Participants at the summer school are encouraged to submit an abstract for a Poster Presentation. The deadline for submissions has now passed.
The registration fee for the full three days is £284 and for one day only it is £153.
You will have several options for payment including payment online using a credit card on our secure site. Offline payment (e.g. by post) is also possible. Places are limited so please register early. Once registration is full, we do keep a waiting list and we will make one available as soon as registration is full. For information on cancellation, please see the registration form.
The registration fee does not include lunch. There are many cafes and shops nearby where you can buy lunch or if you are in self-catering accommodation, you will have the facilities there to make your own food. There is a supermarket (food shop) right beside the university.
University accommodation reservations are now closed but there may still be rooms available.
If you prefer to find your own accommodation, you can search online using various websites. There are a full range of rooms available around the city and within a short distance from the university.
The summer school will be held in the John Percival Building (formerly the Humanities Building) at Cardiff University. The address is Colum Dr, Cardiff CF10 3EG
The deadline for applying for a full or partial bursaries for the LinC Summer School 2016 has now passed.