Jobs and work experience

Job Hunting

I am currently job hunting, however it is ridiculously hard to balance this with final year exam revision. I obviously want to dedicate the majority of my time to my University work, so that I can get the best mark that I’m capable of…but I am also so very aware of my dwindling student loan, and the fact that I will soon be officially unemployed.

I keep trying to find relevant graduate jobs, desperately avoiding any waitressing or bar work. I’ll have a degree soon so I won’t have to do that again right??? I’m starting to feel like I’m definitely wrong. It’s impossible to job hunt everyday at the moment, and I know that I’m going to graduate and end up working a bar job for a few months. AND THAT IS TOTALLY FINE. There’s undoubtedly a self-imposed pressure to get a good graduate job straight out of University, but sometimes it is best to take a step back, and do something casual like bar work for a bit instead. This gives you time to think about what you actually want to do, instead of applying for and committing to jobs that you may not enjoy. You will also take some some very unneeded weight off your shoulders, by waiting until exams are over and you’re earning money before you start looking for the first step in your career. It is also vastly easier to apply for jobs when you actually know what your final mark is. I always feel cheeky writing my current average down on application forms, so much could go wrong between now and graduation!

I’m also having a lot of ‘am I good enough??’ anxiety at the moment, as I sit waiting for a response from my many job applications. It’s really easy to sit and wonder what is wrong with your CV, what experience you’re missing, and what makes you so unemployable that they won’t even email you back. It’s important to remember (and not to get to disillusioned by) the fact that a lot of graduates don’t find employment relevant to their degree as soon as they graduate.  It’s hard to find a job when you don’t have much experience, and when you can’t even write your final grade on your CV. This information doesn’t really stop my panicking, but it does make me feel better about myself. It certainly isn’t me that is undesirable to the employer, but the fact is it is just really hard to find a job straight out of University.

Sorry this was a bit of a rant! Basically, graduating is scary, don’t panic, you are definitely good enough.