Going out, Housemates, Lectures, Only in Cardiff, Second year, Studying

Five Things I Learnt During Exam Period

Hello all! By the time you are reading this I will have just finished my sixth exam of this exam period! I know that my posts have been very revision and exam-centric lately. But it’s such a huge part of my degree! I have very few items of coursework due in throughout the year but get tested on a huge amount of my course content within a three week period in May. I’ll be back in the following months talking placements, grad jobs and the Cardiff Award but I thought I would share five things I learnt during exam period.

1. Your health always comes first. Mental and physical. When I had a health issue during exams part of me wanted to ignore it until after my exams had finished. However, I’m glad that I realised my health is so crucial so I’m glad I took a few hours off from revision to go to the doctors and get myself sorted. Equally, sleep and eating well are VITAL.
  2. Don’t get upset if things don’t go as planned. I’d sometimes beat myself up during exam period because I’d only done 4 hours revision instead of my planned six… But with revision, your brain can only absorb information for a limited amount of time – if you feel yourself getting tired or not concentrating properly, have a break, some fresh air, a nap… even if you’ve not scheduled one into your revision plan.
  3. Remember, this is only temporary. Exam period can feel like the most stressful period of your life because your whole life is put on hold to remember and learn information for exams. It helps to remember most exams are two hours long, which in the scheme of things is no time at all, and that they’ll be over before you know it.
  4. Find your perfect revision area. In the lead up to exams experiment with working in different areas to see which is most effective – some people prefer revising in bed, some people like their desk in their bedroom, others prefer a cafe or a library. I personally found out that my optimum place to revise was the Julian Hodge Study Centre, between the hours of 9 and 3, near a window and near the printer, and of course, surrounded by snacks. Finding this ideal study space made things so much more productive.
  5. Reach out for help if you need it. Exams are really stressful, and there is no denying that. It’s a difficult period to get through. I learnt the importance of asking your lecturer, friends, university, and family for help. Please never feel ashamed or awkward asking for assistance for something. Everyone is there to help you!

I hope all of your exams/deadlines are going well and remember – the end is always in sight! xo