Clubs and societies, Lectures, Settling in, Studying, Third year

Getting back into the swing of things

So when I last wrote to you all, I was in a state of illness, exhaustion and general wipe out. This week, however, is much much better. Right now we’re in academic week 3 which means the hype of freshers week is over, lectures properly start, seminars properly start, and unfortunately, the work properly starts too. Now that is not meant to sound bleak, starting lectures again is a deceptively positive thing: they give you structure to your day which means that you can’t lie in bed until noon every day which you’ve been used to doing over the summer (probably quite a good thing in the grand scheme of things as you actually get up and get things done!) Attending lectures also means you have something good to tell your parents over the phone when they call up for a chat. Instead of “I spent last night in the pub, yeah, and the night before, and the night before..” you now have something decent, dignified and even intelligent and interesting to tell them, “well you know mum, in this week’s seminar we were discussing Kant’s concept of the Transcendental Aesthetic” – literally have no idea what that even is, but it make me sound good!

As I’m in my third and final year now, I’ve decided to write a dissertation as part of my degree, (a scary 7000 word essay on a topic of my choice) I’m sure most of you have heard notorious and terrifying legends of dissertations, but so far it has all seemed to go okay. I’ve talked to my tutor about it, and he said that as long as I don’t leave the entire essay to do over one weekend, it should all work out well…I’ll let you know how I get on with that though as it’s a slow working progress.

I promised you all last week that I’d tell you how I got on with the rest of Fresher’s Week – well, it’s safe to say I partied until I dropped really, which may or may not have been a wise decision, but as soon as the first Monday of lectures rolled around, I picked myself up and got things rolling. As this is my last year, I’ve tried to get things off to a positive and productive start (“start as you mean to go on” and all that jazz): I’ve joined the gym and have been doing my very best to go before lectures every day – it’s only down the road from my house so I really have very little excuse!  – apart from Thursdays which are the mornings after netball socials which are one thing only: INSANE! (- Will expand on this soon!) I’ve joined a choir as something a bit different and challenging, I’m also in the process of trying to sort out some work with a volunteering project which hosts a soup kitchen for homeless people. That’s the beauty of university, there are hundreds upon hundreds of projects, sports, societies and clubs you can get involved in – the hard part is picking which one is right for you!

So that’s about it for this week, it’s all been about finding a routine which balances work and lectures with netball training, choir, socials and the other things I like to do…in next weeks blog I’ll tell you all about netball and the notoriously crazy socials as well as fill you in on other bits and bobs I’ve been up to in Cardiff. See you then!