Class of 2016Interviews

Graduate Profile: Tiffany Massey

13 July 2016
Tiff

Tiffany Massey is another one of this year’s Cardiff Grads who has been President of the Maths Society and C-Card Officer for the Cardiff University Sexual Health Awareness Group (SHAG). She is going on to do a Masters in the School of Maths and has told us a bit about her time as a Cardiff undergraduate.

Why did you choose to study at Cardiff University?
When I went for my Offer Day it was the best University we’d been to. It was organised, fun and we were made to feel welcome. Cardiff is also a beautiful city and much more appealing to me than other cities I’d visited.

What’s your favourite / most memorable memory of your time as a Cardiff student?
Being President of the Maths Society, it was great to meet so many people and to get to know the School of Maths staff on a different level. There’s been so many great socials, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, which allowed me to meet a huge range of people!

What are you planning to do next year?
I’ll be doing a Masters at Cardiff University so I’ll be staying around for a bit longer!

How did your time at Cardiff University help you with your next steps?
When applying for the Masters the School of Mathematics staff were so helpful and enthusiastic about me applying, even with my dodgy grades! When I asked two members of staff for references they were both really pleased that I was staying on and it made me feel more confident about my decision.

What are you looking forward to most about your next steps?
Doing something I really enjoy. In my course I had to do a lot of modules which I didn’t really enjoy, doing a Masters will allow me to study parts of Mathematics which I am passionate about.

What advice would you give to your past self when you were a student?
Go to lectures and do the work in term time. I’m sure I’m not the only one who every semester promises themselves that they’ll keep up with the work load! Who knows what would have happened if I’d actually tried in first and second year!

What advice do you have for current students?
Do as much work as you possibly can – especially in third year, it’s just one really long, really hard year but once it’s over it’s the best feeling you could ever have! Also join a society, it really is so fun.

Describe Cardiff University in 5 words.
Friendly, Innovative, Beautiful, Welcoming and Fun!

What is your lasting impression of Cardiff University?
Best four years of my life so far.

Thanks, Tiff! We look forward to welcoming you back in September as a postgraduate!