Report from your Student/Staff Panel

Hi All,Picture of Rob Student report

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself, I am Rob Spurway and I am this year’s IEN/EEE Student Staff Panel (SSP) Chair. If you want to contact me please do via email on spurwayr@cardiff.ac.uk.

Firstly I would like to welcome all the new Year One, Foundation and Direct Entry students to ENGIN. I hope you enjoy your time here at Cardiff. To the returning students I hope you have had a relaxing summer break and I wish you all the best of luck for the forthcoming year.

Just some information you need to be aware of …

1. Research. Last year students expresses a wish to learn more about the School’s research so there is a new “Research Awareness” programme, being led by Prof Porch. There are a few events which have either taken place this year, or are coming up soon:

a. Shock Soc have been to the Lightning Lab on Wed 7th October, This was a great opportunity, not only for Years 1 and 2 but was open to everyone.

b. Did you know that in 2015 there has been an award of £29M to Cardiff University to aid research in Compound Semiconductors? Prof Tasker will give a talk later in the semester. Stay tuned.

2. Industry. Students also requested more links with Industry so this year there will be an “Industrial Enhancement” programme, led by Dr Perks, who has the new role of “Industrial Enhancement Tutor” for IEN/EEE. This will kick off with an IET sponsored “Employability Day” on Thus 15th October. All IEN/EEE lectures have been cancelled for you to make use of the opportunities on the day, including CV writing, interview advice and many more activities for you to be given a kick start into industry.

3. Feedback. The have been some developments on how you can pass your feedback to the school.

a. In response to a request from the SSP there is a new suggestion box outside the teaching office.

b. Twitter – the teaching office is now on twitter (@ENGINcardiff). The student staff panel is also on twitter(@CDF_EEE_SSP)

c. New feedback email. Each cohort now has an email address to send any feedback to. The Head of Discipline, Deputy Head of Discipline and Year tutors will have access to the email. There separate email addresses are:

Integrated Engineering                                 ienfeedback@cardiff.ac.uk

Electrical & Electronic Engineering            eeefeedback@cardiff.ac.uk

Foundation                                                         fndfeedback@cardiff.ac.uk