Setting the Scene

Hello there!

My name’s Emma if you hadn’t of guessed from my blog title, and I’ve just started my PhD looking into the effect bacterial proteases on the tight junctions in the gut epithelium of premature infants. So this is my first blog post, which I meant to write before the start of induction week that sort of didn’t happen, so there’s going to be a lot of posts over the next few days so you can catch up on what I’ve been doing.

To set the scene I want this blog to be not only about my PhD and it’s research but how my PhD affects me personally and how I’m using the experience I’m gaining to overcome any issues I may have. Don’t worry if you’re not form a science background because this blog is not about me detailing the research I’m doing, but more about relating what I do to a wider audience.

In addition I’ll be talking about my time at conferences and most importantly what I’m doing with my spare time, because a PhD is not all about work! Also I may touch onto how I’m adjusting to life away from home.

At the moment I don’t know how often I will be posting but I feel that at least once a week would be a good aim. I hope to introduce a vlog every now and again, especially when I’m at conferences.

I’m sorry this post was so late, but they’re will be more going up over the next few days for you to catch up! Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!