About Me

Roger Scully

I’m Professor of Political Science in the Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University.

I’m the co-author of Wales Says Yes: Devolution and the 2011 Welsh Referendum (University of Wales Press, 2012), and was Director of the ESRC-funded 2011 Welsh Referendum Study and 2011 Welsh Election Study.

Prior to working on Wales and devolution, I used to study political representation in the European Union, and authored Becoming Europeans? Attitudes, Behaviour and Socialisation in the European Parliament (Oxford University Press, 2005) and co-authored Representing Europe’s Citizens: Electoral Systems and the failure of Parliamentary Representation in Europe (Oxford University Press, 2007). I’ve published more than forty articles in major academic journals, including the British Journal of Political Science, Electoral Studies, the European Journal of Political Research, and Party Politics. I’m also Associate Editor of Parliamentary Affairs.

You can contact me via: ScullyRM@cardiff.ac.uk, or via Twitter (@roger_scully). You can also find me on Facebook.

In the unlikely event that any of you wish to watch a video of me speaking, please view my 2011 Professorial Lecture at Aberystwyth University: Democracy in Contemporary Wales.

In my spare time I like to follow horse-racing and listen to Jazz.

• Jamie Pritchard

Dear Roger,

Can you tell me where I could locate old Rhymney Valley election results and also individual ward results tracing back to the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s?

Jamie

• Harry Hayfield

Rhymney Valley Local Election Results 1973 – 1991
    1991: Lab 27, Plaid 11, Ind 6, Ind Lab 1, Rates 1 (Lab majority of 8)
    1987: Lab 32, Plaid 7, Ind 4, Rates 2, Ind Lab 1 (Lab majority of 18)
    1983: Lab 34, Plaid 9, Rates 2, Ind 2, Alliance 1 (Lab majority of 20)
    1979: Lab 35, Plaid 6, Prog Lab 1, Ind 1, Others 5 (Lab majority of 23)
    1976: Plaid 23, Lab 19, Rates 4, Ind 2 (No Overall Control, Plaid short by 1)
    1973: Lab 38, Plaid 6, Rates 4, Ind 2 (Lab majority of 26)

If you like the ward by ward tallies, then please do e-mail me and I will be happy to pass that info on

• Syd Morgan

Jamie, Interested in your query. Can you say why you’re asking? “I know, ‘cos I was there!” And can locate lots of electoral material and information about the politics and personalities of the period. As can others, of course.