About Elections in Wales

This blog is devoted to the discussion and analysis of elections, voting and political representation in Wales. But then you probably guessed that from the title.

Elections and voting are central to political life in any representative democracy. Yet they are often not well understood. In Wales, elections have long had a peculiar character, with sustained one-party dominance characterising the vast majority of elections in the democratic era. This blog tries to explore that and other phenomena, contributing towards greater knowledge and understanding of elections in Wales.

This is not a Blog featuring daily up-dates. Posts are rather less frequent than that; the general aim is to offer some considered thoughts about elections and related matters, rather than reacting immediately to the events of the day. Most of the posts are by me, though I hope also to encourage more frequent guest posts by others. Notices of blog up-dates will be posted via my Twitter account (@roger_scully) and on Facebook.

Elections in Wales is not concerned with trying to advance the interests or electoral popularity of any particular political party. There are plenty of other places you can go to for that. The blog sometimes takes positions on controversial issues. But it is fundamentally about trying to provide a forum for the understanding of elections and voting, and not about trying to bang the drum for one or other party. If you have a hard time grasping that, please go elsewhere.

As this blog is written in Wales, and about Wales, mae’n bosibl bydd sawl o’r cyfraniadau yn Gymraeg. Where a post is written yn Gymraeg, an English translation will also be posted.

About me – Roger Scully

I’m Professor of Political Science in the Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University.

I’m the co-author of Wales Says Yes: Devolution and the 2011 Welsh Referendum (University of Wales Press, 2012), and was Director of the ESRC-funded 2011 Welsh Referendum Study and 2011 Welsh Election Study.

Prior to working on Wales and devolution, I used to study political representation in the European Union, and authored Becoming Europeans? Attitudes, Behaviour and Socialisation in the European Parliament (Oxford University Press, 2005) and co-authored Representing Europe’s Citizens: Electoral Systems and the failure of Parliamentary Representation in Europe (Oxford University Press, 2007). I’ve published more than forty articles in major academic journals, including the British Journal of Political Science, Electoral Studies, the European Journal of Political Research, and Party Politics. I’m also Associate Editor of Parliamentary Affairs.

You can contact me via: ScullyRM@cardiff.ac.uk, or via Twitter (@roger_scully). You can also find me on Facebook.

Should any of you wish to watch a video of me speaking, please view my 2011 Professorial Lecture at Aberystwyth University: Democracy in Contemporary Wales.

And in the even more unlikely event that anyone should wish to watch Richard Wyn Jones and I delivering a ‘Masterclass’ on Public Opinion in Wales to senior staff of the Welsh Government, then Part I is here and Part II is here.

In my spare time I like to follow horse-racing and listen to jazz, when I’m not being taken for a walk by our dog.