And the winner is…

For some years now, the Political Studies Association of the UK has held an annual Awards dinner. A number of awards are given every year – including Politician of the Year and Political Journalist of the Year. (These went this year to, respectively, Jeremy Corbyn and Stephen Bush).

There are also a small number of prizes for academics. One of these is for the Political Studies Communicator – the academic who has done the most valuable work to bring academic knowledge and research to a wider audience. This prize has been won in the past by a very distinguished list of scholars.

I was very pleased indeed that this year the Political Studies Communicator Award was given to me. The awards jury referred to “the authoritative and tangible contribution he has made researching and commenting on Welsh politics as well as astutely conveying wider political issues and enhancing the public understanding of politics via the media”.

A video – albeit one shot on my iPhone – of my acceptance speech is now available here. It is mostly in English, although I suspect I may have given the first ever PSA Awards acceptance speech that was also partly in Welsh and Urdu.

• Richard Owen

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn, Roger. Gwobr gwbl haeddiannol. Mae dy erthyglau wastad yn eglur ac yn gytbwys, ac o fewn cyrraedd deall cynulleidfa eang. / Hearty congratulations! Always clear and balanced, but never boring.