Global Citizens or Cosmopolitans?

Posted on 23 December 2019 by Kevin Smith

This post relates to a previous post inspired by Mr Mock at Risca Comprehensive School and his passion for the Welsh Dimension and International Perspective of the new curriculum for Wales. Successful Futures was published roughly around the time I was conducting research on the effectiveness of the Curriculum Cymreig and how pupils’ perceptions of
Read more

Curriculum & Culture: How should we teach Welshness?

Posted on 16 December 2019 by Kevin Smith

Recently, I spoke at the “What’s Next? A discussion about the next steps in education in Wales?” event organised by Mrs Rebekah Bawler (@RCCS_MissBawler) and colleagues at Risca Comprehensive School (@RiscaCCS), along with Mr Norman from Willows High School (@WillowsMrNorman), Mr Barri Mock (@RCCS_MrMock) and Miss Coran Jones (@RCCS_MissCJones) from Risca Comprehensive and Dave Stacey
Read more

Teaching as a ‘fling’ career

Posted on 8 December 2019 by Kevin Smith

“They’re turning teaching into a fling career.” — K. G., class discussion, 12 Feb., 2019 Last spring, in the Foundations of Schooling course I teach for pre-service teachers at my college, my students and I were discussing an article recounting the changing demographic of the US teaching force toward younger teachers with less experience. In
Read more

How I lost my first job as a teacher

Posted on 16 October 2019 by Kevin Smith

Typically, these posts are 800 words or less. However, I’ve missed a post – so I’ll make up for that with a double-post today. I hope you enjoy it. My first teaching job was as an ICT teacher at a small secondary school in one of the most-deprived areas in Cincinnati. We were a “Title
Read more

Teacher Demoralization

Posted on 23 September 2019 by Kevin Smith

In a previous post on Kevin Smith’s blog, I discussed the distinction between discourses of “best practices” that dominate education discussions and “enacted values,” which I offer as the more suitable discourse by which to frame conversations about education. In this post, I extend the conversation through a focus particularly on what is lost when
Read more

My dad and I assembling the Millennium Falcon, 19, Dec. 1980

Suicide Prevention and School

Posted on 9 September 2019 by Kevin Smith

*Content Notice: This post discusses suicide among children and adults. One evening in October of 1995, my family and I visited my parents. My sons were playing with grandpa downstairs while my mother, wife and I were in the kitchen talking. Eventually, dad came upstairs and asked mom for a stamp. She gave him one,
Read more

Let’s talk about race.

Posted on 15 August 2019 by Kevin Smith

This is a spontaneous post. I usually spend quite a bit of time planning what I want to write, and how — but recent events have prompted me to jot down some quick thoughts on how we react to conversations about race, the terms we use, and how we use them. If you haven’t heard,
Read more

Priorities, purpose and efficacy: How identifying aims/purposes in education can make us better teachers.

Posted on 5 August 2019 by Kevin Smith

In a previous post, I discussed teachers’ responses to the question “what is your top priority as a teacher?” The most common response included variations of the phrase “to help pupils achieve their potential,” a priority I believe is essentially unachievable. It’s a nice sentiment, but we need to conceptualise more distinct and concrete priorities
Read more