Images of Research 2019: what’s in it for you?

30 October 2019

If you could sum up your research in one image, what would it be?

Entries are now open for postgraduate researchers (PGRs) to submit an image that encapsulates their research, and we can’t wait to see yours!

On Tuesday 10 December 2019 we will be displaying the shortlisted images at our Images of Research exhibition. This event is a fun and festive way to end the calendar year, and gives PGRs the chance to share their work, meet other researchers and members of the public, and win cash prizes.

All disciplines of research and all subject areas can be captured in a visual form, and this competition is the perfect opportunity to get creative and think about your research in a different way.

Still not sure whether you want to enter? Read on to find out why last year’s winners found it so beneficial…

One of the 2018 winning images
Henna Nisa’s winning image

“When I first heard about the competition I instantly had ideas come to mind about how my research could be represented in a powerful way. But I kept putting it off because I couldn’t decide what to go with. The deadline to enter was literally a day or two away and in the end I just went for what seemed simple but effective. My image took less than a minute to capture and I ended up winning the competition!

When working on a unique topic as a doctoral student, it can often feel like ‘I’m the only one who cares about this thing’, but the feedback I received from everyone at the exhibition really boosted my confidence about the importance of my research. My image was able to capture the attention of people from different academic backgrounds and more importantly it got them to reflect as I spoke to them about my work.” – Henna Nisa, School of Social Sciences. First prize winner, Images of Research 2018.

Find out more about Henna’s image and her research.

Cerys Knighton with her winning image

“Taking part in the Images of Research competition has had a really positive impact on my PhD research. My research investigates how manic-depressive illness became a diagnostic category by concurrently examining medical cases and literary texts, and art has become an important part of my PhD as a space of reflection: conceptually exploring historic representations of bipolarity while reflecting on the modern stigma around bipolar disorder.

During the exhibition, feedback from doctoral researchers from a variety of disciplines across the University allowed me to think about the work from different perspectives, which has been invaluable in developing the work and its impact. The chance to answer a number of questions during the exhibition has also improved my confidence in discussing the work, which has been really helpful in subsequent interviews and presentations.” – Cerys Knighton, School of English, Philosophy & Communication. People’s Choice Award winner, Images of Research 2018.

Find out more about Cerys’ image and her research.

Find out more about the competition and download an entry form on our events page.

For inspiration, why not have a look at the Images of Research entries from previous years, over at our Facebook page?:

Images of Research 2018

Images of Research 2017

Images of Research 2016

Images of Research 2015

Images of Research 2013