My STEM journey as a woman

Posted on 7 April 2020 by Gayathri Eknath

By Lowri Williams The events of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic have been unfortunate and unforgettable. But on the lighter side of things, it has also allowed an increase in our communications with our family and friends, something I’m sure many of us had started taking for granted. During this time of lockdown, my mum has
Read more

What does inclusion mean to you?

Posted on 10 March 2020 by Gayathri Eknath

All views are my own and do not represent the host institution of this blog. What are the first thoughts that come to mind when you hear ‘inclusion’? How about when you hear ‘diversity’, ‘disability’, ‘mental health’, ‘gender’ and ‘access’? How do you feel about ‘LGBTQ+’? These are the questions that I think lie at
Read more

Science Superheroes! Can role models positively influence children’s attitudes towards STEM careers?

Posted on 18 February 2019 by Naomi Dinmore

Last summer, I had the fantastic opportunity to take part in a real-life research placement through the Cardiff Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (CUROP). It was exciting because I was able to explore some of the stereotypes in STEM subjects, and why women specifically are still considered a minority within STEM fields. Despite numerous interventions, Women
Read more

Who inspires you?

Posted on 9 February 2019 by Wendy Sadler

To celebrate UN International girls and women in Science day (11th February 2019) we asked some science communicators from Cardiff University’s spin out ‘science made simple‘ who was their inspiration… Tell us about yours in the comments… by Wendy Sadler Which women inspire you? I reckon for me my mum was probably one of the first
Read more

Understanding Autism

By Sarah Barrett These days, almost everyone has heard of autism spectrum disorder (ASD).  As a PhD student at the Wales Autism Research Centre, Cardiff University, my research is centred on this lifelong neurodevelopmental disorder.  On a personal level, I have two siblings on the spectrum, which has definitely directed my priorities in terms of
Read more