Introduction and interests

Message in a bottle

I have to admit, I am rather dubious about the whole idea of blogging. Will I have anything to say, will anyone be interested, and will I have time for it amid all the pressures of my academic and personal life. So I looked through the blogs on the Cardiff University site to get some pointers, and….well, let’s say they were not all inspiring. Then I read the blogging guidelines on what to say or not to say (mostly the latter), which seemed rather restrictive. And then I thought about why anyone would write a blog – what does it say about their personality. Doesn’t it smack just a little bit of exhibitionism and/or narcissism?
WHMH0156-rt20x30-3883
My main intent in starting this blog is to write about my academic life, which I hope won’t be too tedious for my readers. Of course, I’ll refrain from commenting on how the University is run, or on my academic colleagues. As Thumper’s mother said “If you can’t say something nice about someone, don’t say nothing at all.” So a little about myself: I am a professor in the School of Computer Science and Informatics, and also Director of International and Engagement for the School. From time to time I expect to write about my travels around the UK and further afield, and I’ll also branch off to talk about other things that interest me outside of my job. In particular, I’m sure I’ll mention my running activities. I’m an keen member of the Cardiff parkrun community, and often take part in local races – anything from 5k up to half-marathons.
Here’s a picture of me running in the IAAF/Cardiff University half-marathon in March 2016 – I’m number 3883. Maybe I’ll talk about my marathon running experiences some other time, but in the mean time I’d like to recommend a book: “What I talk about when I talk about running” by Haruki Murakami. He is one of my favourite authors, although some people say his recent work is not so great – too much of the same-old-same-old. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I’ll probably also talk about another of my major interests which is books. You could also check me out on Goodreads.
I think that’s enough for now. I’ll try to keep this blog going, but who knows….