Cardiff Award

Careers and Employability Celebration Event

In less than 3 weeks Careers and Employability will be hosting its first ever celebration event, recognising students who have completed a variety of employability and enterprise initiatives. The evening recognises their commitment and achievements.

This will include students who have:

Specific Awards will be presented to individual students who have demonstrated exceptional performance in their participation within each of the programmes.  All participants deserve recognition, the employability programmes demand time, commitment and energy. Students manage these activities on top of busy lives and hectic academic schedules. The celebration event is a testament to their efforts over the year.

The programmes have involved over 3000 students this year, each developing student’s transferable skills, self-confidence and self-awareness. Ultimately this is improving their employability and job prospects.

All participants have been invited to attend on the night, alongside esteemed guests from academic colleges and industry. It takes place in the hub of student life – the Students’ Union, in the prestigious Y Plas – a fabulous venue. There will be speeches, presentations, networking over drinks, followed by an after party with special guests Bass 12 –  a wonderfully talented band (consisting of many Cardiff University staff and students) who will be kicking off the celebrations!

Here are some examples of how students have benefited:

“Being a student mentor is an immensely satisfying role, being able to help new students and watch as they progress through the year. It is also gives you a range of new skills that you can discuss on your CV: leadership, organisation, communication and interpersonal skills. These qualities develop you as an individual, making you a much better-rounded candidate when it comes to applying for placements, developing your professional portfolio and impressing at interviews.” Student Mentor 2015

“We had a difficult task in deciding the winners for the Spark Enterprise competition. We were positively surprised at the quality of the applications and the confidence of the participants in presenting their ideas and the courage in taking the next step.” – SPARK Judges  (an Enterprise competition)

“The Cardiff Award is on my website, LinkedIn, and CV – I would argue that it now plays a part (however big or small) in whatever I apply for” Award student 2015

“During an interview the Award definitely caught the attention of the interviewer.” Award student 2015

“So chuffed to have taken part and won, it means a lot and will be a massive help with progressing my business. I’m looking forward to continue working with the Enterprise team. Spark winner 2015

“I feel like I’ve made a difference in the lives of my mentees and given them the tools to succeed at Cardiff, which they might not have had without the mentoring scheme. In summary, being a Student Mentor is enjoyable, a good opportunity to improve your skills and a great way to contribute to the university.” Student Mentor 2015

“From attending enterprise events, I realise that life can throw unexpected moments your way, and you need to make the most of them. It’s about grasping opportunities.” Enterprise participant 2015

“I would recommend the Award … it has given me such a push to sort out my career and make me realise my skills, and then developed them. It also looks great on the CV and has proved to be a talking point in interviews.” Award student 2015

12.06.14Cardiff Award at Aberdare Hall

We are really excited to sharing in the successes of our students on the evening of June 9th. Look out for our tweets on the night!

If you have missed out this year then vist www.cardiff.ac.uk/careers and see how you can get involved next year – it could be you winning an Award in 2016!

Kath, Cath and Ann – Programme Managers