Cardiff Award

Welcome Cardiff Freshers 2014!

In less than 2 weeks Cardiff University welcomes thousands of new students.  If that’s you then CONGRATULATIONS!  You must be experiencing a wealth of emotions and no doubt extremely excited about what lies ahead.

You have made a great decision choosing Cardiff!  I can say that because not only did I study here myself, I loved it so much I took a job here after my graduation.

Cardiff is a great City, small enough for you not to get lost and big enough to explore.  We have something for everyone coffee shops, bars, nightclubs, culture and sport to name but a few!

Then there’s the University and,as my teenage daughter would say,OMG!  You’re going to love it. Located in heart of the City, with historic buildings, great facilities and the BEST Student’s Union. Okay, so I may be slightly biased here but it really is one of the biggest and best in the country.  It boasts an amazing elected officer team that are there to support you throughout your university life, and has undergone a major re-vamp (they have been busy creating new venues this summer and the redeveloped nightclub Y Plas is going to be amazing!).

One piece of advice I can give to you is to really get involved in the University experience.  I implore you not to just come here to study, get along to the Societies, AU and volunteering fairs that take place week commencing Monday 22nd September and get involved.    Participating in such extra-curricular activities will not only help with you the transition to University (you’ll definitely meet new people and make friends), but it will also allow you to develop a wealth of transferable skills that employers look for.  Now, I realise many of you are not thinking about graduation yet, and I don’t blame you – you need take time to settle in to University.  But, there is no denying that many that come to University would like a great job following graduation.  Getting involved in activities offered through the Union is a great way of becoming more employable, without you even realising it.

The Cardiff Award

So, if you do decide to take my advice, come and see the Cardiff Award team during Freshers (we’ll be at all the fairs), We can talk to you about how your extra-curricular activities can help develop your skills, your confidence and ultimately your employabiity; and explain how participating in the Cardiff Award will teach you how to sell the skills you develop as  result of your extra-curricular activities to future recruiters.  

I wanted to share with you a brief presentation, that gives reasons why you should participate in the Award – click here to view.

Don’t forget to follow the hashtag #CardiffFreshers14 for event updates and make sure you visit the Students’ Union website.

Again congratulations and I look forward to seeing some of you soon!

Kath