I can’t believe we are only weeks away from the start of another term! It’s been a busy summer, the Award team have been bringing in new sponsors and organising exciting sessions and networking events for the 2014–2015 programme. We have never had such a large cohort to look after – there are currently 60 students due to finish in December and another 250 started the programme back in June, some of which I have yet to meet and look forward to doing so in October.
As you know from my last post, I was really sad to see the 2013-2014 students leave, some are still here studying but many have graduated and are at the start of a new journey. I do hope to keep in touch with them all and I know some will be back for future Award networking events (to those of you reading this make sure you drop me an email every now and again!). It is really satisfying to see Award alumni do so well, every day my LinkedIn account is asking me to congratulate someone who has just found a new role!
So what are the plans for this year?
Firstly, we have new branding, out with the old blue circle and in with a fresh, modern design, we do hope you like it!
Secondly, we have new sponsors:
- Blake Morgan (a leading UK law firm)
- Net Support UK (Net Support UK specialises in providing IT support and services to a wide range of businesses and sectors across Cardiff, Newport, South Wales and the rest of the UK.)
- ACCA ( (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) is the global body for professional accountants)
- CADW (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service working for an accessible and well-protected historic environment for Wales.)
- ACE Cardiff (A local charity running multiple projects in Cardiff, working with disadvantaged children, unemployed people and older people.
All will be involved in the Award, through workshops, networking events and assessments. Morgan Blake are even offering work experience to a lucky Awardee!
Thirdly, we have some new networking events and workshops. Following on from the successful Creative Industry event of last year, the next term will see a repeat of this, plus an event for the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) sector and one for the third sector. We also have trips to EY in Bristol up for grabs, mock technical interviews as well as the popular Social Media, CVs and assessment centre sessions.
Finally - and this is really exciting – this term we launch the Champions Life Academy Cardiff Award Student of the Year! This Award recognises students that have excelled during the programme. As we have 2 intakes this year there will be 4 awards in total:
- 2 Student of the Year Awards (one for each cohort), winners will receive a £100 cash prize and an engraved glass trophy
- 2 Special Commendations (one for each cohort), winners will receive a £50 cash prize and an engraved glass trophy
The winners will be announced at the end of year celebration event, taking place in June 2015. A huge thank you to Champions Life Academy for sponsoring this Award! They are a great organisation that share our ethos of ensuring students leave university with a wealth of skills and able to gain successful employment. Visit their website and look at their amazing Easter and Summer internships.
I am sure you agree that this all pretty exciting!
If you are not doing the Cardiff Award then maybe you should think about it – not only do you get official recognition for your extra-curricular activities, you get to meet employers, the chances of gaining graduate employment are improved, you could win work experience as a result of being involved and you might even be the Cardiff Award Student of the Year – how good does that sound!
We have 500 spaces for a January 2015 start. Applications open September 29th, 2014 and close December 13th – we will close early if sufficient applications are received. Check out this Prezi for information on how to apply.
That’s all from me.