I have been asked to speak at a new Cardiff University – ‘Inspired by…’ Seminar Programme. For more details you need access to the Cardiff University intranet. The programme is here. It includes talks by Assistant Chief Constable Nikki Holland, Rosaleen Moriarty-Simmonds OBE and Helen Walbey.
My talk is about Athena SWAN, the charter that recognises advancement of gender equality. I’ve been involved in Athena SWAN at the University and national level for about five years. I was asked to offer suggestions for things that we can do to help equality. Here my list.
We are ALL leaders and practitioners of equality
Actions for all of us
- Know your local Athena SWAN contact (list of College Contacts below).
- Get involved with your Athena SWAN Self Assessment Team.
- Share the information about events and seminars.
- Encourage your HoS or Professional Service to embrace equality.
- Be proactive – “emergent leadership”.
- Sign up to be a mentor and be mentored.
Actions for Schools and Colleges (more here)
- Mentoring – University Wide Scheme launched
- Annual appraisal
- Staff Development
- Flexible Working Practices and Policies
- Publicity about Equality Activities
- Recruitment & Induction
Athena SWAN Contacts